being cooked/cooking

< Previous | Next >

Ivan_I

Russian
Which one is correct?
I have a dish being cooked on my cooker.
I have a dish cooking on my cooker.

I think both are OK. NO?

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    "cooking/cooker" sounds strange to me. I think we'd say which part of the 'cooker' is being used. e.g I have a stew cooking in the oven / I have lamb chops cooking on the hob.

lingobingo

English - England
    But it’s a strange thing to say. You’d normally either name the dish or just say “something”, and not mention the cooker (most people have a separate hob and oven anyway), since that would be taken for granted.

I’ve got some potatoes on.
    I’ve got a casserole on the go.
    I’m baking a cake.
    I’ve got an apple pie in the oven.
    I’m doing a stir-fry on the hob.

Andygc

British English
    Which one is correct?
    What does "correct" mean? Yes, they are both grammatical and both have valid meaning, but neither of them is idiomatic.

I have a dish being cooked on my cooker = somebody other than me is cooking a dish for me on my cooker.
    I have a dish cooking on my cooker = somebody, but not necessarily me, is cooking a dish on my cooker.

But I can't imagine anybody using either, for the reasons others have mentioned.

(most people have a separate hob and oven anyway),
    That claim will surprise Aga (who also make Raeburn ranges) and the various companies that sell single-oven and double-oven cookers - Neff, Hotpoint, Flavel, Zanussi, Rangemaster, Smeg ....

lingobingo

English - England
    I’m not sure why my passing remark about most people these days having a built-in oven and hob rather than a free-standing cooker has met with such reaction! :eek::D So maybe I’m wrong, but that was certainly my impression – and that’s why referring to something being “on the cooker” sounds odd to me.

Linkway

British English
    Focusing on the difference between "being cooked" and "cooking":
    --- "being cooked" emphasises that someone is doing the cooking. So you could say, for example, "The meat was being cooked by Tom".
    --- "cooking" in this sentence merely identifies that the process was taking place.

Note the different meaning of cook/cooked/cooking as:-
    (a) the effect of heat on the food
    and
    (b) the action of the person facilitating this process.

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I’m not sure why my passing remark about most people these days having a built-in oven and hob rather than a free-standing cooker has met with such reaction! :eek::D So maybe I’m wrong, but that was certainly my impression – and that’s why referring to something being “on the cooker” sounds odd to me.
    Even those of us without built in units - including Aga owners - use the 'hob, hotplates, gas rings' separately from the 'oven' and, to me, don't refer to dishes being "in/on the cooker.'

< Previous | Next >