Being discussed

Jignesh77

India- hindi
I watched a video about relative clauses on YouTube and came across the following:

Defining relative clause- the information is important in specifying what is being discussed.
What is the grammatical form and function of "being" here?
If we remove it- "the information is important in specifying what is discussed, is it grammatically correct and mean the same?

• It's a present progressive that emphasizes the ongoing, presently occurring situation.

Compare "He is shy" --it's a trait, presumably seen in action from time to time.
    "He is being shy" -- right now he is hiding under the table.

"I just learned today what is discussed at your meetings" --I said to a board member of a condominium nearby. No discussions need be occurring in the present.

"What is being discussed by my guests [right now] is how to get home in the rain."

Last edited:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    'What is being discussed' is the passive present continuous of the verb 'to discuss'.

The OP was about the function of 'being'.
    What is the grammatical form and function of "being" here?
    'Being' is the present participle of the verb 'to be'.
    Some form of the verb 'to be' + past participle, is essential in passive formations.

You wrote
    If we remove it- "the information is important in specifying what is discussed, is it grammatically correct and mean the same?
    Removing 'being' is not correct, because the tense is no longer continuous, if the (present) continuous tense is the correct one.
    It's impossible to say what is 'correct' without detailed time context.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >