being driven aimlessly in a car

< Previous | Next >

Shohane

USA
Vietnamese
What's the word for sitting in a car, having someone drive you aimlessly, maybe similar to sightseeing?

• Loob

English UK
    I don't know, Shohane - I don't even know if there is one.

Maybe it would help if you gave us the sentence you want to use it in:)

andy_westken

If you want a word which means "being driven aimlessly around by someone else", I am pretty sure there's no such thing.

If you're driving round the countryside visiting places, staying over in B&Bs, then maybe you can talk about touring.

Or, if you're an American high school kid (or a beach boys), you could cruise around in your little deuce coups? (this might be an old fashioned expression by now??)

JamesM

What is your relationship to the driver? Is the driver hired? Is he or she a friend of yours? Are you driving around your own town or somewhere else? Is the purpose of the drive to see the sights in a random manner or is it simply for the pleasure of riding in the car? Are you and the driver the only occupants of the car or do you have a group of people with you?

We need some background in order to help you.

Myridon

English - US
    Driving aimlessly around in a car could be cruising or taking a joy ride or just taking a drive/going for a drive.
    I'm assuming that you and the driver agree on what you are doing. The way you've described someone else doing it to you makes me want to suggest "poorly planned kidnapping". :)

Shohane

USA
    Vietnamese
    The way you've described someone else doing it to you makes me want to suggest "poorly planned kidnapping". I'm assuming that you and the driver agree on what you are doing.
    :D Yes. I meant, being driven around by someone I know (friends, family).

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    We used to say "go for a ride", when the point was to travel in the car, maybe looking at the scenery, rather than to arrive anywhere in particular. It means the same thing as AngelEyes' suggestion, but it's less formal.

< Previous | Next >