being happy about someone

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by plugga, Nov 24, 2010.

1. plugga New Member

UK
    Italian - Italy
    I'm a little confused about this translation, the sentence says: "his father is really happy about his son" and I'm not sure whether to use the instrumental or the dative case (the latter would imply the word "father" at the dative form and then the adverb прнятно).

thanks in advance

2. WordOrder Senior Member

Russian
    был доволен (кем?) сыном (тв. п.)

3. plugga New Member

UK
    Italian - Italy
    so it's the instrumental! thanks a lot!

4. Wertis

Wertis Banned

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Его отец действительно/по-настоящему доволен своим сыном. The case is instrumental because the noun "сыном" answers the question "кем?" like nouns used in this case (there are two questions: "кем?" and "чем?" typical of the instrumental case).

The dative case is "сыну" and the questions are "кому?" or "чему?"

5. Awwal12

Awwal12 Senior Member

Moscow, the RF
    Russian
    Just a sidenote: it would be better not to apply Russian logics to foreign learners of the language. For the topicstarter it most likely wasn't that obvious at all that the object if "сыном" (and not "сыну") or that the question is "кем" (and not "кому").

6. Wertis

Wertis Banned

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    I don't think so. I said what I thought about the thread's subject and the question discussed. If there are any questions, the topicstarter is welcome to ask.

7. Sobakus Senior Member

Maybe by dative the topicstarter meant a construction like отцу приятно за сына. It's valid with a number of adverbs denoting emotional states, but happy is rather счастливо, and this adverb can't be used here probably as счастье isn't quite an emotion. You can use радостно though.

8. morzh

morzh Banned

USA
    Russian
    Happy - also means "доволен" (I don't know if it is in E-R dictionaries, but it does mean that).

So one can simply say "отец очень доволен сыном".
    But, depending on the context it can be also "рад/счастлив за сына".

9. Awwal12

Awwal12 Senior Member

Moscow, the RF
    Russian
    Am I wrong believing that "доволен сыном" is "happy about his son" while "рад за сына" is "happy for his son"?..

10. morzh

morzh Banned

USA
    Russian
    No, I think you're right.

Although I usually hear "Happy with someone" in the sense "доволен кем-то", and "Happy about" is usually for some event (happening to someone, or just by itself).

I am happy for you - я за тебя рад.
    I am happy about what's happened - я доволен тем, что произошло.
    I am happy about you having joined Ivy League University.
    I am happy about my son being an "A" student.
    A am happy with my son.

We are happy with the way things are going. - here I would not always translate as "счастливьi" as the things may be the situation in a war zone. One can be "доволен", but "счастлив" here does not look good.

"We are happy with the development in the Afgan theater" - "мъi довольнъi тем, как развиваются собьiтия на Афганском фронте", but "счастливъi" does not fit well.

11. plugga New Member

UK
    Italian - Italy
    That's what I meant, yes i get easily confused when I have to translate emotional states!
    But thank you you were all helpful!