being in a mall to see people and shops

One Heart

Egyptian Arabic
Hi

An Arab has asked me to translate something from Arabic into English but it seems that I am not sure what the most suitable English word is for the context.

Suppose that you are in a mall with your friends and you are not their to buy but to walk and see people and shops.

I am not sure if the word I am looking for here is 'hang out'. I think that there is another word or expression that describes this activity but I cannot recall it.

• Loob

English UK
    Hello, One Heart

Please could you give us the complete sentence into which you would like to insert the word(s) you are looking for?

(One possibility is "window-shopping" - but until we see your sentence we can't be sure:(.)

One Heart

Egyptian Arabic
    A. What are you doing in the mall? Are you buying something?

B. No, we are just ??? (not sure if it is hanging out)

Susan612

American English
    There's the term "window-shopping" which describes going to shops to look at merchandise without necessarily buying, but it's something that could be done alone or with others, so it doesn't carry the connotation of hanging out while shopping.

Loob

English UK
    A. What are you doing in the mall? Are you buying something?

B. No, we are just ??? (not sure if it is hanging out)
    "Hanging out" might work; so might "window-shopping". It depends what your friends are doing. Are they looking in shop windows, or are they just using the mall as a meeting place?

One Heart

Egyptian Arabic
    I have not heard this 'window-shopping'. Thank you!

I know that it is not a quite straightforward question. The example I used was not the one that I am struggling to translate but since there are some cultural differences, I wanted to give an example that is easier for you to understand.

I will tweak my question a little bit so it does not sound like something about what people do in malls only.

Actually, the term/word/expression I am looking for is not peculiar to malls . I am not sure if you have a term for when people are driving their car aimlessly in/outside a city for fun, with or without their friends, and they may do this just to waste their time.

Loob

English UK
    "Hanging out" looks good to me if you are not specifically thinking about shopping malls:).

< Previous | Next >