being mentioned in a will

ida2

Persian - Iran
Hello,

What is the meaning of the bold part in the context below?

Considerable sacrifices. Physicians should not be overly suspicious about surrogates. Respecting close family relationships is an important social value, and physicians should support families who are trying to deal with difficult situations as best as they can. Simply making sacrifices to care for a relative or being mentioned in a will is not a conflict of interest.

Source: Resolving Ethical Dilemmas: A Guide for Clinicians by Bernard Lo

• boozer

Bulgarian
    Will - that would be the last will and testament of someone. The document whereby the person bequeaths all earthly possessions to people before meeting the Maker.

If someone is mentioned in a will, they usually hear their name next to a sum of money or some asset left to them.

ida2

Persian - Iran
    Thank you. I can understand the literal meaning of being mentioned in a will, but I can't understand the relation of the mentioned expression with the whole sentence/context. Could you paraphrase the containing sentence?

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    ... I can't understand the relation of the mentioned expression with the whole sentence/context...
    Nor me! This writer's style is certainly laconic. I think it means "A physician should not suspect that others have a conflict of interest simply because they make sacrifices to care for a relative or because they are mentioned in a will." (But I would not be surprised to find that I've misunderstood.)

< Previous | Next >