Being neat is something I credit from my mom.

< Previous | Next >

Bagsensei

Japanese
Hello, everyone.

"Being neat is something I credit from my mom."

situation: I grow up with a mother who is very neat. Now that I live on my own, I have become a neat person, too.
I am writing a self-introduction, I would like to express that I am a neat person and that is something that I have gotten from my mom.
I'd like to give her the credit. Would my sentence above works?

Thank you.

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    Not quite.

I might write: Being neat is something I credit to my Mom (capped).

Alternatively: Being neat is something I credit my Mom for.

Longer: Being neat is something I have to give my Mom credit for. (Not elegant.)

EDIT: Cross-posted with Owlman.

owlman5

English-US
    Use "to" rather than "from" after "credit", Bagsensei: Being neat is something I credit to my mom.

You can certainly use "from" after "get": Being neat is something I get from my mom.

PS I just saw your answer, perpend. Why would you capitalize "mom" in "my mom"? I only use capitals when "Mom" is being used as a replacement for a first name: I saw Mom at the store. = I saw my mom at the store. Capitalizing "mom" in "my mom" is not standard practice.

Last edited:

Bagsensei

Japanese
    Not quite.

I might write: Being neat is something I credit to my Mom (capped).

Alternatively: Being neat is something I credit my Mom for.

Longer: Being neat is something I have to give my Mom credit for. (Not elegant.)

EDIT: Cross-posted with Owlman.
    Thank you so much for your very helpful examples, Perpend.

Bagsensei

Japanese
    Use "to" rather than "from" after "credit", Bagsensei: Being neat is something I credit to my mom.

You can certainly use "from" after "get": Being neat is something I get from my mom.

PS I just saw your answer, perpend. Why would you capitalize "mom" in "my mom"? I only use capitals when "Mom" is being used as a replacement for a first name: I saw Mom at the store. = I saw my mom at the store. Capitalizing "mom" in "my mom" is not standard practice.
    Thank you so much for your great help and explanation , Owlman.

sound shift

English - England
    To me, this just says that my mum is a neat person and I feel I should give her credit for that. It doesn't say that I too am neat because of the influence of my mum.

"Being neat is something I get from my mum" strikes me as a likely BrE way of expressing the idea.

< Previous | Next >