1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

Being onto something

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by silvicrima, Jun 22, 2016.

1. silvicrima

silvicrima Senior Member

Spanish, Spain
    Hello,

I have heard this expression many times and I don't know how to translate it into Spanish.
    Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,

Silvia

2. Mr.Dent

Mr.Dent Senior Member

English American
    I don't know how to say it succinctly. but this is what it means:
    tener/conseguir información que probablemente te va a llevar a discubrir algo importante
    o
    ser consciente de algo que te va a servir bien.

3. silvicrima

silvicrima Senior Member

Spanish, Spain
    Thank you very much Mr. Dent.
    Maybe something along the lines of 'Los datos/información que tengo me van a ser de gran utilidad'.
    Thanks again!

Silvia

4. SydLexia Senior Member

London, EU
    UK English
    The image is of the hunt, of being on the track of something.

Could we have an English original and context?

syd

5. silvicrima

silvicrima Senior Member

Spanish, Spain
    Thank you so much as always SydLexia.
    I do not have a context this time. It's just one of those expressions that I have heard a thousand times and I always wanted to ask about.
    Thanks!

6. elanglojicano

elanglojicano Senior Member

el norte
    inglés de EE.UU.
    ¡Te veo venir! I'm onto you; I know what you're up to; etc.

7. levmac Senior Member

Spain
    British English
    ReversoContext has "estar en algo" "estar en lo cierto" "metido en algo importante" "trabados en algo" and even "detrás de algo" which surprises me.

i agree with syd about the image of the hunt.

8. levmac Senior Member

Spain
    British English
    Ah but it can also be - you have the right idea, follow this line of thought.

I think James is on to something with this his idea about promoting the business as a luxury service.

9. silvicrima

silvicrima Senior Member

Spanish, Spain
    Thank you everybody.
    I have found an expression I like as a translation for 'Being onto something'. It's 'ir bien encaminado'. It think it reflects what SydLexia mentioned, the idea of the hunt, of being on the track of something.
    In my opinion 'estar en lo cierto' is good for Levmac's sentence 'I think James is on to something with this his idea about promoting the business as a luxury service.'
    Thank you very much again!