being over being

< Previous | Next >

girl from rio de janeiro

Banned
Portuguese (Brazilian)
Julia Roberts "sounds off men, money, and being over being America's sweetheart" in Allure's March 2009 issue.
I'd like to know something more about this construction "being over being". I've never found this before and I don't understand it. Thanks.

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Being over being America's sweetheart ~ She has passed beyond being America's sweetheart/She is through with or done with it. She has got over it, and continued on with her life.

ace02nc

English - United States
    "To be over" something means that you're finished with something because you're tired of doing it, you've outgrown it, etc.

"She's not my girlfriend anymore, so I'm over her. I don't think about her anymore." would be another example of this usage.

What your example means is that Julia Roberts is through being America's sweetheart for some unspecified reason or reasons.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I would caution you to avoid this construction. It may be the sort of thing a popular
    magazine uses to be "cute" or "clever", but it doesn't invite clear communication.

It will be more clear if you use an idiomatic expression such as done with being... or
    has grown used to no longer being...

girl from rio de janeiro

Banned
    Portuguese (Brazilian)
    I would caution you to avoid this construction. It may be the sort of thing a popular
    magazine uses to be "cute" or "clever", but it doesn't invite clear communication.

It will be more clear if you use an idiomatic expression such as done with being... or
    has grown used to no longer being...
    Thank you. Could I also say done with be or has grown used to no longer be or are they wrong?

Loob

English UK
    No, you need the gerund after the prepositions "with"/"to", girl from rio:)

< Previous | Next >