Being Saved Vs Attaining Salvation

< Previous | Next >

Ashley Qin

Chinese
Hello to all, here is the title of an article

Being Saved Vs Attaining Salvation
One can only attain salvation and enter the heavenly kingdom by casting off one’s sinful nature and being purified

How do you understand Vs in the title? Does it mean "being saved" and "attaining salvation" are against each other? Or does it refer to contrasting "being saved" with "attaining salvation"? Thanks.

• owlman5

English-US
    "Being saved" doesn't imply anything about the personal effort and responsibility of the person who is being saved. "Attaining salvation" implies that somebody did something in an effort to find salvation. I suppose that this distinction was on the author's mind when he or she wrote that article.

By the way, Ashley Qin, please remember to include the author's name, the name of the publication and the title of the article whenever you quote any language in the forum. You have mentioned that "Being Saved vs. Attaining Salvation" is the title of the article that you are referring to, but I still don't know who wrote the article or where you found it.:confused: Thank you.

Ashley Qin

Chinese
    I'm writing the article now. I'm not sure whether readers would misunderstand Vs. I don't mean the two phrases are against each other. I'm just comparing them and discussing the relationship between them. So I want to make sure "Vs" is OK here.

owlman5

English-US
    Thanks for the clarification. I don't think your readers are likely to believe that the phrases are somehow "against" each other. They will understand that you are comparing the two phrases and commenting on the different meaning that each phrase expresses.

< Previous | Next >