being sexuality a construction inseparable from the discourse on power within such is established

< Previous | Next >

WesołaBiedronka

Polish
In this chapter we would like to outline the reflection of how cultural aspects are intrinsically connected to paraphilia. The discourse on sexuality appears in certain socio-hystorical moments as an attempt to regulate sexual practice according to the standards of the time. In this perspective, it is understood that social and political control of human behaviour can only be achieved through control of the body and sexuality, being sexuality a construction inseparable from the discourse on power within such is established

I can't comprehend what's going on in the italicized part. I don't understand the meaning nor the grammar behind it. Can someone please paraphrase it for me using simpler english?

• The Newt

English - US
    "Being sexuality a construction..." isn't normal English syntax. The idea is apparently "... can only be achieved through control of the body and sexuality, because sexuality is a construction that is inseparable from the discourse on power within which it is established."

WesołaBiedronka

Polish
    Thanks a lot.

When you say it is not normal do you mean it's simply unusual or that perhaps it's actually incorrect? The pdf that I'm reading doesn't come from any reliable source as far as I can tell so it's possible it may contain some strange errors. I'd like to know if this is an example of such. I haven't noticed anything like that before though.

The Newt

English - US
    Thanks a lot.

When you say it is not normal do you mean it's simply unusual or that perhaps it's actually incorrect? The pdf that I'm reading doesn't come from any reliable source as far as I can tell so it's possible it may contain some strange errors. I'd like to know if this is an example of such.
    It sounds to me like a poor translation from another language. "Being sexuality" etc. is (just barely) comprehensible, but it's not something a competent writer would say. The "within such" is even worse.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    When you say it is not normal do you mean it's simply unusual or that perhaps it's actually incorrect? The pdf that I'm reading doesn't come from any reliable source as far as I can tell so it's possible it may contain some strange errors. I'd like to know if this is an example of such. I haven't noticed anything like that before though.
    Where is the text extract taken from, please?

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    It's probably a mistyping of "..., sexuality being...", which would be understandable (it introduces an explanation of what "sexuality" is intended to mean.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    It's probably a mistyping of "..., sexuality being...", which would be understandable (it introduces an explanation of what "sexuality" is intended to mean.
    I agree. They are words transposed accidentally. This does not appear to be a translated text (Practical Guide to Paraphilia and Paraphilic Disorders edited by Richard Balon, as noted by lingobingo).

Andygc

British English
    It's more than just an accidental transposition.
    being sexuality a construction inseparable from the discourse on power within such is established
    That whole extract is gibberish.

The editor's native language is not English, it's Czech. Also, he's the editor, so we don't know who wrote the chapter that this comes from and cannot know if it is a translation without knowing its origin. Judging from the entire sample in the OP the writer was most unlikely to be a native speaker of English.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    It's more than just an accidental transposition.

That whole extract is gibberish.

The editor's native language is not English, it's Czech. Also, he's the editor, so we don't know who wrote the chapter that this comes from and cannot know if it is a translation without knowing its origin. Judging from the entire sample in the OP the writer was most unlikely to be a native speaker of English.
    OK, I take back what I said earlier. The authors are A Pachecho Palha and Mário F Lourenço and work in Portugal. The editor works in the US. I would still imagine that the text would have been checked before it is published, and the sentence with words transposed makes some sense to me.

Andygc

British English
    Hmm
    "... sexuality being a construction inseparable from the discourse on power within such is established" :confused:
    Ah well :)

< Previous | Next >