being surprise/to be surprise

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

Many people don’t know how to memorize English vocabulary, so they want to give up when they learn that there are so many complicated words and phrases. But if you want to pick up a language like English, what you need to do is more than_____.

I wonder if I should say "to be surprised" or "being surprised" in the blank.

I think both are okay.

• Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Many people don’t know how to memorize English vocabulary, so they want to give up when they learn that there are so many complicated words and phrases. But if you want to pick up a language like English, what you need to do is more than to be surprised. Now I’m going to tell you something really useful.
    This is the full context and this is a speech I wrote; I am trying to tell others how to memorize vocabulary. The underlined part is what I wrote but I didn't think it's correct. I want to say if you want to learn English, you need to do more and exert more efforts rather than shirk from the difficulty (here means too many complicated words and phrases startle many people)

Susan Y

British English
    I think you have two problems in your sentence.

The first is grammatical - you have an active verb "you need to do", followed by a passive verb "to be surprised". This doesn't work; you don't do anything to be surprised.

Your second problem is semantic; it makes little sense to say "(do) more than to be surprised". I wonder if "surprise" is actually the word you mean here. It seems an odd word to choose.

I assume that you mean to suggest people persevere despite the difficulties?

< Previous | Next >