being than only slightly built and wanting to get away?

< Previous | Next >

Baltic Sea

Banned
Polish
Hello again!

After giving up dancing many years ago, I had to earn a living and being then only slightly built and wanting to get away from the very feminine image I had, I started my life of manly pursuits to become as macho as I could.

In my opinion, the fragment in bold means because I was than only slightly built and wanted to get away. What do you think?
This term is from Silk Stockings On A Ladder by Yvonne Sinclair
In paragraph 1, line 1 is this text:
After giving up dancing many years ago, I had to earn a living and being then only slightly built and wanting to get away from the very feminine image I had, I started my life of manly pursuits to become as macho as I could.

The source: http://yvonnesinclair.co.uk/stories/...%20Ladder.html
Thank you.

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I understand "then," meaning "at that time." I don't see any need to change it to "than," which doesn't make any sense to me.

Baltic Sea

Banned
    Polish
    The author made a mistake. I changed 'than' to 'then', not the other way round. How do you see my understanding of the section in bold?

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I think you understand it perfectly. Sorry, from the title and the various red letters, it was very hard to figure out what you were asking/what was in the original.

Loob

English UK
    You're right that "being" implies a causal relationship here, BS:):thumbsup:.

I don't think, though, that I'd translate it as (the very strong causal) "because". I'd be more likely to translate it as "given that I was", "since I was" or "as I was".

< Previous | Next >