being unwilling to sup

< Previous | Next >

kyondaime

arabic
Hi everybody,
i found that sentence in a novel and i don't understand why they used "being" in the begining without the pronoun "he", could someone explain to why ?

Being unwilling to sup till he saw the whole
scene that was acted under his window, he called then for his supper, ate with a better appetite than he had done at any time after his coming to Samarcande, and listened with pleasure to the agreeable concert of vocal and instrumental music

thank you

• Teiresias

English--American, North Central
    "Unwilling to sup till he saw the whole scene that was acted under his window, he called. . . ."
    The underlined verb phrase above modifies the subject of the sentence "He." It is called a present participial phrase. A present participle is a verb stem + ing. The phrase is based on the underlying sentence: "He was unwilling to sup (to eat) till he saw. . ." In it shortened form, the verb phrase functions as an adjective phrase and is set off from the main clause by a comma.

kyondaime

arabic
    Thank you for your answer, i have another question : why did you exlude "Being" from the beginning of the sentence did it make a different meaning?
    thank you

< Previous | Next >