"being"

rcp

English-USA
Hi! Is it correct to say "I'm being home this week"? Its probably more correct to say "I'm going to be home this week.", but is "being home" grammatically correct?

• FrankyFourFingers

Portuguese
    Although it's correct, I don't think it's idiomatic, rcp. What do you mean with this sentence? Maybe you want to use "I'm staying home", but it depends on the context. Is there any?

JamesM

"Being home" sounds very strange. "I will be (at) home this/all week" or "I'm going to be home this/all week" are idiomatic. "I'm being..." is used to describe a current behavior, not a future activity: "I'm being stupid", "I'm being difficult", for example. I suppose it sometimes refers to the future - "I'm being inducted into the Hall of Fame next Tuesday" - but "I'm being home" just doesn't make a lot of sense from a logical standpoint.

You could even say "I am home all week."

Last edited:

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with FFF - it's not grammatically correct. Your "I'm going to be home this week" is fine. You will often hear people say "I'm home this week" or "I'm at the office next week". Although these aren't technically correct, you often hear them said.

You can also say "I will be home this week".

JamesM

Dimcl, I still think the sentence is cohese, but not coherent. What's wrong with it (beside the fact it doesn't mean anything)?
    I think the problem is that "I am being" is very different from "I am."

"You are stupid" and "you are being stupid" mean two different things. One talks about a characteristic or state while the other talks about a current behavior. "I am at home" is more like a state than a behavior. "I'm being difficult this week" would make perfect sense; "I am behaving in a difficult manner." "I'm being home" doesn't; how could I behave in a home manner?

"I'm being a homebody this week" would make sense to me.

FrankyFourFingers

Portuguese
    I think the problem is that "I am being" is very different from "I am."

"You are stupid" and "you are being stupid" mean two different things. One talks about a characteristic or state while the other talks about a current behavior. "I am at home" is more like a state than a behavior. "I'm being difficult this week" would make perfect sense. "I'm being home" doesn't. "I'm being a homebody this week" would make sense to me.

You're absolutely right, I'm only saying that's a semantic problem, rather than a grammar one.
    "She eats backpacks when she wants to boost her self confidence" is a correct sentence, isn't it?

johndot

English - England
    “I’m being a homebody this week” would make sense to me. (JamesM, post #6)

Yes, this would certainly make sense... but it can’t be compared with the original: you’ve added an indefinite article.

Loob

English UK
    is "being home" grammatically correct?
    Hi rcp, and welcome to the forums!

I'd say it's not. "Be" is a stative verb, and as such it isn't normally used in progressive tenses.

We do occasionally use it dynamically in active sentences, and when we do, it has a meaning akin to "act" or "behave". See James' post 6 above for some good examples.

We also use "am (etc) being" in passive contructions where we're 'translating' a dynamic verb:
    Sean Connery is taking me out tonight => I'm being taken out by Sean Connery tonight. (Yeah, like that's going to happen, Loob...)
    You will often hear people say "I'm home this week" or "I'm at the office next week". Although these aren't technically correct, you often hear them said.
    Dimcl, I'd say these are 100% correct - and so would my various reference books;)

PS to FFF & James. Semantic problem vs grammar problem - it all depends on what you include in the term 'grammar':D

Dimcl

Canadian English
    You're absolutely right, I'm only saying that's a semantic problem, rather than a grammar one.
    Aren't we kind of getting into more semantics here? When I say it's grammatically incorrect, I mean that it's the use of a word incorrectly (which is what most incorrect grammar is, no?). To say that "I'm being home" is grammatically correct is to say that the use of "being" doesn't mean what we think it means - that it would be acceptable to say:

"I'm being on vacation next week" OR
    "I'm being at a birthday party tomorrow"

Your use of the word "being" has been changed from meaning that I am currently "being" something to meaning that I currently "am" something. "Being" reflects an ongoing condition and not a static condition.

< Previous | Next >