Belarusian: попадеють

Kobzar

Spanish - Spain
Hello, I am conducting a research about the rusalki, and I must translate and interpret a short text from the oral tradition of the Homel' region in Belarus. It has been published by Виноградова, Людмила Николаевна, и Левкиевская, Елена Евгеньевна, 2012: Народная демонология Полесья, Москва, Рукописные памятники древней Руси, с. 535, нр. 281, and I find some difficulties there. I guess its language is not standard Belarusian, but some dialect. There is this sentence: "Хлопцы попадеють сорочки билые," where I cannot find the meaning of the verb, the infinitive of which I guess it is "попадеть," but I cannot find anything similar and making sense, in the standard Belarusian-Russian dictionaries that I have consulted so far. Any help will be welcome! Thank you very much in advance!

• marco_2

Polish
    Hello, it was понадеють, not *попадеють*. It means The boys will put on white shirts. (I saw this misprint on the Internet).

Last edited:

Kobzar

Spanish - Spain
    Hello, it was понадеють, not *попадеють*. It means The boys will put on white shirts. (I saw this misprint on the Internet).
    Thank you very much! It makes full sense. There is a misprint in the book.

< Previous | Next >