Belarusian: I have heard a lot about you

• Anatoli

Native: русский (Russian), home country: English
    Can somebody help me translate this into Belarussian?
    I also need to say: How is life in Belarus these days with Bat'ka Lukashenko?
    I will try another one of yours - Belarusian is much harder to translate into (since I was much less exposed to it) but I don't know if we have native speakers with a good command of Belarusian here:

Я многа чуў пра цябе.
    Як жыцьцё цяпер з бацькай Лукашэнкам?

Although confusing, I think the correct modern spelling is "Belarusian". :)

BTW, I noticed, Belarusian is often written incorrectly on the web, there is not much literacy on the web in this language.

cyanista

законодательница мод
    NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    You've forgotten about me, Anatoli! ;) I have quite a decent command of Belarusian, although I don't get to speak it a lot. But your sentences were almost all correct except:

Я многа чуў пра цябе. :)
    Although confusing, I think the correct modern spelling is "Belarusian". :)

BTW, I noticed, Belarusian is often written incorrectly on the web, there is not much literacy on the web in this language.
    There are several variants of spelling and I think it will take some time for one version to prevail completely. This chaos started when the country became independent and its name was changed from Byelorussia to Belarus. "Byelorussian", quite undersandably, is strongly assosiated with the Soviet times, so I wouldn't use this one. Belorussian and Belarussian are still used frequently, but Belarusian [bela'rusj@n, bela'rushn] and Belarusan gather momentum. :) The advantage of the two latter forms is that they comply with the country's name and, apart from that, they don't evoke immediate assosiations with Russian.

cyanista

законодательница мод
    NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    Something just occured to me: although we do have многа, I would normally prefer шмат.

Я шмат чула пра вас.

< Previous | Next >