Belarusian: varieties of Belarusian

Dabry dzen'!

I was wondering whether anybody might have an idea about this.. When I listen to Радыё Свабода па бэларуску I understand almost everything but when I listen to the 1st Channel of the Belarussian State Radio, I understand much less. May it be possible that they are using some different varieties of Belarussian?

• Mac_Linguist

English and Macedonian
    Dabry dzen'!

I was wondering whether anybody might have an idea about this.. When I listen to Радыё Свабода па бэларуску I understand almost everything but when I listen to the 1st Channel of the Belarussian State Radio, I understand much less. May it be possible that they are using some different varieties of Belarussian?
    Something I've been meaning to ask for a while.

The Wikipedia article is a little confusing so I was hoping someone could explain the differences between the two different varieties: normative and alternative ("Tarashkevitsa").

cyanista

законодательница мод
    NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    Sigh.

I've been meaning to ignore this thread because I don't really have much to say. I am not particularly knowledgeable about this topic and there is too little information I can refer you to. But as I am the only Belarusian regularly posting here I feel kind of responsible. :(

"Tarashkievitsa" is named after Belarusian philologist and political leader, Branislau Tarashkievich (1892 - 1938), who wrote the first Belarusian grammar reference book, Belaruskaja hramatyka dla shkol (Belarusian School Grammar); Vilnius,1918; Mensk, 1928.
    In 1933 there was a language reform initiated by the Communists. This russified version of Belarusian is scornfully called "Narkamauka" by Tarashkievitsa adherents. It is still the official version but nationalist and otherwise patriotically minded circles use the somewhat adapted Tarashkievitsa.

I cannot find any English sources so a few links in Russian and Belarusian:
    Tarashkievitsa - Wikipedia in official Belarusian, also available in Russian and Ukrainian
    The language reform in 1933 - Wikipedia in Tarashkievitsa
    The language reform in 1933 - an article in Tarashkievitsa
    "Alternative" spelling rules - in Tarashkievitsa, naturally

cyanista

законодательница мод
    NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    I was wondering whether anybody might have an idea about this.. When I listen to Радыё Свабода па-беларуску (in BOTH varieties!) I understand almost everything but when I listen to the 1st Channel of the Belarussian State Radio, I understand much less.
    This is a very curious statement because the two "varieties" mostly differ in spelling. There are some phonetical differences and where Narkamauka uses Russian loanwords Tarashkievitsa uses Belarusian words or Polish loans. So a bit weird for a Russian speaker to more readily understand the latter. :confused:

To illustration some words that differ in T. and N.

Official ("Narkamauka") ......Alternative ("Tarashkievitsa")

есці.................................есьці

змена...............................зьмена

класiчны...........................клясычны

камптэр.........................кампутар

не пойдзеш.......................ня пойдзеш

клуб............................... клюб

чай..................................гарбата

вадзіцель..........................кіроўца

умова...............................варунак

датацый..........................датацыяў

дэфіліраваць....................дэфіляваць

нарвежскi.........................нарвэскi