belated or late

Baby_V

italian
I want to know which one is correct.

A late gift from dad for my birthday.

VS

A belated gift from dad for my birthday.

Thank you.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    The correct one here is "belated" which means later than was expected - (in other words, he missed your birthday).

Baby_V

italian
    Does it mean he missed my birthday gift (so he gave me a gift later) or he couldn't remember my birthday? Can it mean that my dad remembered my birthday but he didn't give me a gift so he gave it to me later?

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    It could mean either. It could also mean that he ordered the gift but it didn't arrive in time. Or that he saw something in a store a few days after your birthday and thought you would like it, so he gave it to you and said "Here is a late birthday present."

Baby_V

italian
    One more question - I know the following sentences are grammatically correct, but I want to know which one is clearer and sounds better.

A belated birthday gift from dad.

My belated
    birthday gift from dad.

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    I would say that a gift that was purchased after your birthday is both "late" and "belated" but a gift that was purchased and sent prior to your birthday which didn't arrive on time is only "late."

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I know the following sentences are grammatically correct, but I want to know which one is clearer and sounds better.

A belated birthday gift from dad.

My belated
    birthday gift from dad.
    All three would sound fine in the right context (which you're supposed to have given us, by the way ;))

So if, for example you were to say:
    "Today I received a lovely pendant, which was...... ", any of the choices would work: I think it's just personal preference.

< Previous | Next >