'believe', 'guess' meaning that closer in meaning to the word 'think'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    There might be, but you have given us no context.

I'd say that these alternative words are often used simply to avoid repetition.

There might be, but you have given us no context.
    as a variant :
    Someone, somewhere, believes Douglas MacArthur cannot keep a secret.
    one more:
    The captain approached the bed and hoisted a familiar, heavy black briefcase onto a chair. "I believe this belongs to you."
    Another one (here, at all closer to the word 'consider'):
    The seldom-used name “Enola” is the word “alone” spelled in reverse. It is believed that Enola Gay Tibbets’s parents were inspired to give her the name by the 1867 Laura Preston novel In Bonds, in which Enola is the name of a special place to a main character.

Yalta

Last edited:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Like so many English words, these have meanings that overlap. Think of them like Venn diagrams (Venn diagram - Wikipedia)...

not like pigeonholes...

I can't draw Venn diagrams here, so I'll have to be satisfied with near-synonyms.

Believe: trust, have faith, hold an opinion without hard facts.
    Guess: come to a conclusion at random, hold an opinion without hard facts and without much caring.
    Think: come to an opinion rationally, hold an opinion without total certainty.
    Know: be certain, hold an opinion with total certainty.
    Suppose: come to an opinion with partial facts but not total certainty.

So you can see that guess, believe and suppose may be used, in casual speech, as synonyms for think. They're not likely to be used as synonyms for know.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >