believe in graphics interfaces

Yekta

Persian
Dear friends, I have problem with thast part of sentence, that is, "we believe in graphics interfaces, we saw the Xerox Alto too". I know the meaning of the words but I can't understand what does it want to say.
"Gates believed that graphical interfaces were the future, and that Microsoft had just as much right as Apple did to copy what had been developed at Xerox PARC. As he freely admitted later, “We sort of say, ‘Hey, we believe in graphics interfaces, we saw the Xerox Alto too.’” (Source: "Steve Jobs")​

• wandle

English - British
    Jobs is saying that Gates stated that Microsoft and Apple both copied the idea of a graphic interface for computing from the Xerox Alto machine. That was presumably a photocopier which led the way in giving the user a visual display to choose controls for the machine. From Gates' phrasing, it seems he did not want to admit to the idea that Microsoft was copying from Apple.

Yekta

Persian
    That is, it wants to say that "we believe that graphics interfaces belongs to Xerox Alto".

wandle

English - British
    No. 'We believe in graphics interfaces' means 'we think graphics interfaces provide the right way to develop computers'.
    In addition to that, Gates wanted to imply that he did not copy this idea from Apple.
    Jobs is making the point that by saying this, Gates admits to copying from Xerox.

< Previous | Next >