believe it to be natural the fact that

< Previous | Next >

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi, there

I am writing about a Brazilian linguist. In the following paragraph, I wrote "believe it to be natural the fact that".. I would like to know if I can use "believe it to be + adjective + the fact that" as I did. Is that ungrammatical?

Louis Henrique, in his article “The verb and the noun sentence”, written in 1948, argues that “the so-called verbal morphemes” are related to the sentences as a whole, and not only to the verb”, but he also believes it to be natural the fact that morphemes acquire a meaning through affixes (prefixes and suffixes) linking to the verb.

Thank you so much!

• Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    It is grammatical but clumsy - we would say simply "that", rather than "the fact that".
    But when I use "the fact that", do I have to use "it"?

"Make it clear that fact that/Believe it to be natural the fact that" or "Make clear the fact that/Believe to be natural the fact that"?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Why not simply: ". . . he also believes that morphemes acquire a meaning . . . "? I don't think you need the rest of the bold-faced verbiage; it only clutters the sentence.

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Why not simply: ". . . he also believes that morphemes acquire a meaning . . . "? I don't think you need the rest of the bold-faced verbiage; it only clutters the sentence.
    But just to improve my English, Parla. Just to know how to use more complex sentences...

When I use "the fact that", do I have to use "it"?

Make it clear the fact that/Believe it to be true the fact that... or "make clear/believe to be true the fact that?

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    That changes the meaning somewhat, Parla - you have lost the "natural", which to me adds something.

It is not necessary to use "it" with "the fact that", Gabriel, but you have chosen a sentence structure which requires "it", whether or not "the fact that" is present. However your two new examples do not work with "it".

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    That changes the meaning somewhat, Parla - you have lost the "natural", which to me adds something.

It is not necessary to use "it" with "the fact that", Gabriel, but you have chosen a sentence structure which requires "it", whether or not "the fact that" is present. However your two new examples do not work with "it".
    I am a little confused, Glasguensis.

Is my sentence "He also believes it to be natural the fact that" correct or incorrect? What do you refer to when you say "your two examples do not work with it". Do I have to say make it clear (the fact) that/believe it to be natural (the fact) that" or "make clear (the fact)that" "believe to be natural (the fact) that" is "it" necessary or not?

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I already answered at post 2 that your sentence is correct but clumsy - not something a native speaker would write. The "it" is necessary in your original sentence, but "the fact" is not necessary and is better removed. The "it" is necessary because of "He believes".

You cannot say "make it clear (the fact) that" - it has to be "make clear (the fact) that". I repeat what I said originally - it is not necessary to use "it" when using "the fact that", but there may of course be other elements in the sentence which require that "it" be present or that "it' be absent.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    Gabriel, if you did insist on saying "He also believes it to be natural the fact that morphemes acquire ...", you would have to put a comma after "natural".

However, it would be a very poor sentence: (a) because, as Glasguensis has said, it's clumsy and wouldn't be said by a native speaker; (b) because it's not instantly obvious that "it" refers forward to "the fact", so at first reading a reader might be tempted to look for an antecedent of "it"; (c) because "the fact" is completely redundant.

But just to improve my English, Parla. Just to know how to use more complex sentences...
    If you did use that sentence (and we're all advising you against it), you would not be improving your English. You would be writing bad English.

Ws

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Gabriel, if you did insist on saying "He also believes it to be natural the fact that morphemes acquire ...", you would have to put a comma after "natural".

However, it would be a very poor sentence: (a) because, as Glasguensis has said, it's clumsy and wouldn't be said by a native speaker; (b) because it's not instantly obvious that "it" refers forward to "the fact", so at first reading a reader might be tempted to look for an antecedent of "it"; (c) because "the fact" is completely redundant.

If you did use that sentence (and we're all advising you against it), you would not be improving your English. You would be writing bad English.

Ws
    So, as Glasguensis pointed out, is it better to use just "that"? "He also believes it to be natural that morphemes acquire a meaning through affixes..."?

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    So, as Glasguensis pointed out, is it better to use just "that"? "He also believes it to be natural that morphemes acquire a meaning through affixes..."?
    Yes.

I might even consider "He also believes that morphemes naturally acquire a meaning through affixes...", which is more fluid — though I'd need a deeper understanding of the subject to be sure that that's saying the same thing.

Ws

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "he also believes it to be natural the fact that morphemes naturally acquire a meaning through affixes (prefixes and suffixes) linking to the verb."

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    "he also believes it to be natural the fact that morphemes naturally acquire a meaning through affixes (prefixes and suffixes) linking to the verb."
    Thank you, Paul. However my sentence may be correct If I drop "the fact", I will use just the verb "believes", as you and the other suggested.

< Previous | Next >