andrepicci

Italian
I don't be able to transform this sentence:
-They believe the students were educated in England
The sentence transformed have to follows this structure:
- The students _______________(believed) educated in England
Someone can help me?
Thanks! :)

Mod note: in the future, please provide your own attempt for homework questions first, and then comment about your doubts.
Nat

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Hello and welcom to the forums, Andre. :)

The students are believed to have been educated in England.
    is how I would go about it. Does it make sense to you?

Askalon

English (US)
    The students are believed to have been educated in England.

The first verb, "believe", takes the same form as other passives. The next verb is also changed into passive, but is in infinitive form, and in the present perfect tense ("were educated" -> "to have been educated").

Last edited:

sound shift

English - England
    I too would say "The students are believed to have been educated in England" because "are believed" is the same tense as the "they believe" of the original sentence: the present tense.

Spanish.
    I too would say "The students are believed to have been educated in England" because "are believed" is the same tense as the "they believe" of the original sentence: the present tense.
    Hi soundshift, I'm wondering if the next sentences are correct or basically convey the same idea:

1.She is believed to be one of the greatest dancers of all times.

2.Everybody believes her to be one of the greatest dancers of all times.

3. Everybody believes that she is one of the greatest dancers of all times. ?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

sound shift

English - England
    All three sentences in post 6 are grammatically correct, provided we change "times" to "time".

2 and 3 mean the same.

1 is rather different in that it suggests that people don't know whether she is one of the greatest dancers of all time. That makes it an improbable sentence. Instead of "believed to be", I would prefer "regarded as" in 1.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    1 is rather different in that it suggests that people don't know whether she is one of the greatest dancers of all time.
    I read that differently:
    "Marie DuPont is to take the lead role in "Swan Lake." She is believed to be one of the greatest dancers of all times. -> Many people believe that she is among the top ten dancers of all times.

< Previous | Next >