believe their own children's level of physical activity and diet rates an A grade

Ume

Banned
Japanese
http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyandhealth/story.html?id=ed336bd4-6b69-4d74-a5fd-8c23600031b5&k=8560085600
While only six per cent of parents rated the overall health of Canadian children as qualifying for an A grade, at least four in 10 said they believe their own children's level of physical activity and diet rates an A grade.
--------------------------------------------------------
"believe their own children's level of physical activity and diet rates an A grade"
I wonder if the above is grammatical. I think that the following is grammatical.
"believe their own children's level of physical activity and diet rates to be an A grade"

• Ume

Banned
    Japanese
    Eliisbetta, thank you.
    Would it be correct to say "believe their own children's level of physical activity and diet rate an A grade"?

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    Yes, because the subject is plural -- level (of activity) and diet -- you need the plural form of the verb: I rate, you rate, s/he rates, we rate, you rate, they rate.

You're welcome. :)

Elisabetta

Snowman75

Australia (English)
    Eliisbetta, thank you.
    Would it be correct to say "believe their own children's level of physical activity and diet rate an A grade"?
    This is a bit of an awkward phrase for a number of reasons. Firstly, I naturally want to parse the sentence as

"believe their own children's level of (physical activity and diet) rates an A grade"

even though I know that "level of diet" doesn't make much sense.

Even if you change "rates" to "rate", I still want to parse the sentence as above, so when I reach the word "rate" it feels like a grammatical error.

Finally, you would normally say "children's diets" (plural) rather than "children's diet" (singular)

I think a much better wording would be:

"believe their own children's diets and level of physical activity rate an A grade"

< Previous | Next >