believe vs appreciate

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
Hi, could I please ask you which of the options in bold (in any) is correct in the following (I believe that they are both correct):
I believe/appreciate that, in a world in which the products of data science inform virtually every aspect of society, including the X sector, actuaries are well positioned to interpret and extract value from data, helping businesses navigate the judgement-led technological future.

• sound shift

English - England
    I was saying that "appreciate" here means "recognise" or "realise". It does not mean "believe".
    So I would say that you could use "appreciate", "recognise" or "realise" in your sentence.

pachanga7

English - US
    Hello,

I agree with sound shift that both are possible and that they mean different things.

I would also mention that your first option seems more likely to be used in this context because it makes a declarative statement of belief. The second one with “appreciate” seems as though the speaker is expressing agreement with someone else, which brings up a more complex scenario in my mind.

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    I was saying that "appreciate" here means "recognise" or "realise". It does not mean "believe".
    So I would say that you could use "appreciate", "recognise" or "realise" in your sentence.
    Thank you, sound shift, for your explanation.

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    Hello,

I agree with sound shift that both are possible and that they mean different things.

I would also mention that your first option seems more likely to be used in this context because it makes a declarative statement of belief. The second one with “appreciate” seems as though the speaker is expressing agreement with someone else, which brings up a more complex scenario in my mind.
    Hi pachanga7, and thank you for your advice. Therefore, do you prefer to use believe in this context?

< Previous | Next >