believe

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mimi2, Jun 23, 2008.

1. mimi2 Senior Member

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi,
    Is this sentence correct?
    - She firmly believed John to be telling the truth.
    Or would it be:
    - She firmly believed that John was telling the truth.
    Thanks.

2. gasman Senior Member

Canada, English
    They are both correct as far as I am concerned.

3. I share your opinion, gasman. Though, I don't know if you agree with me, but the latter seems to sound slightly better and more natural.

4. gasman Senior Member

Canada, English
    I really see, or hear, no difference in intent between the sentences.

5. stephent74 Senior Member

Chinese--Beijing
    I got a question:

She firmly believed John to be telling the truth
    means:  John was going to say the truth, but that speech hadn't happened yet

She firmly believed that John was telling the truth

means: same as above or --- his talking and her thinking just happend at the same time??

6. Tabac Senior Member

Pacific Northwest (USA)
    U. S. - English
    The second sounds more conversational to my ear. The first, a little more formal or literary.

7. mimi2 Senior Member

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi, Stephen.
    I found your question very helpful and I want some help from the forum.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  8. envie de voyager Senior Member

Niagara Falls, Canada
    english-canadian
    I got a question:

She firmly believed John to be telling the truth
    means:  John was going to say the truth, but that speech hadn't happened yet

She firmly believed that John was telling the truth

means: same as above or --- his talking and her thinking just happend at the same time??
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Both of the statements indicate that she had heard John say something, and then she believed what he said was true.

One more little thing; in conversation, saying "I got a question" might slide by, but it will label you as not being very intelligent. Writing it down is completely unacceptable. The correct way of saying this is "I've got a question," or, even better, "I have a question."

9. stephent74 Senior Member

Chinese--Beijing
    Oh really? Because this is what I've learned from the US movies. I have seen this for many times that ''ve got'' is written just as ''got'' in the subtitles.

The first time I saw it, it actually puzzled me. Later I realized they probably just left out the''ve'' in there.