believe

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
Is this sentence correct?
- She firmly believed John to be telling the truth.
Or would it be:
- She firmly believed that John was telling the truth.
Thanks.

• stephent74

Chinese--Beijing
    I got a question:

She firmly believed John to be telling the truth
    means:  John was going to say the truth, but that speech hadn't happened yet

She firmly believed that John was telling the truth

means: same as above or --- his talking and her thinking just happend at the same time??

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    I got a question:

means: same as above or --- his talking and her thinking just happend at the same time??
    Hi, Stephen.
    I found your question very helpful and I want some help from the forum.
    Thank you.

Last edited:

envie de voyager

english-canadian
    I got a question:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Both of the statements indicate that she had heard John say something, and then she believed what he said was true.

One more little thing; in conversation, saying "I got a question" might slide by, but it will label you as not being very intelligent. Writing it down is completely unacceptable. The correct way of saying this is "I've got a question," or, even better, "I have a question."

stephent74

Chinese--Beijing
    I got a question:

One more little thing; in conversation, saying "I got a question" might slide by, but it will label you as not being very intelligent. Writing it down is completely unacceptable. The correct way of saying this is "I've got a question," or, even better, "I have a question."
    Oh really? Because this is what I've learned from the US movies. I have seen this for many times that ''ve got'' is written just as ''got'' in the subtitles.

The first time I saw it, it actually puzzled me. Later I realized they probably just left out the''ve'' in there.

< Previous | Next >