bellezza fa rima con salute

Waterfall123

Italian
Ciao,

La frase è "Bellezza fa rima con salute." Non so se si può dire "Beauty rhymes with health." oppure se è qualcosa come "Beauty is synonym of health."

Grazie a tutti in anticipo!
Ps: Altra opzione potrebbe essere: "You say beauty, you say health" oppure "Beauty is the word for health"?

• tsoapm

English (England)
    Non so se si può dire "Beauty rhymes with health."
    The obvious objection is that ‘beauty’ and ‘health’ clearly don’t rhyme literally. I’m not aware that we use rhyme in this figurative way in English, and would have said that you need to translate the concept. I’ve got a text in which I’m thinking of saying that they ‘go hand in hand’.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    The obvious objection is that ‘beauty’ and ‘health’ clearly don’t rhyme literally. I’m not aware that we use rhyme in this figurative way in English, and would have said that you need to translate the concept. I’ve got a text in which I’m thinking of saying that they ‘go hand in hand’.
    That's how I translated it in my head as I started reading the thread.

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    I’ve got a text in which I’m thinking of saying that they ‘go hand in hand’.
    :thumbsup:

I like that as well as the coin suggestion by johngiovanni.

Other possibilities:
    -goes hand in hand with/goes together with
    -parallels
    -matches
    -correlates with, etc.

(As an aside, I might specify that it's not just any health but good health ;))

Bic.

Just to say that "parallels / matches / correlates with ... is assonant with", etc., do not really work for me. I think you need an image, a figurative expression, in the target language.
    So "go hand in hand" or "are two sides of the same coin" or "go great together" - for me at least - would work better.
    Also look at "chimes (well) with". "If one thing chimes in with another thing or chimes with it, the two things are similar or consistent with each other." (Collins)

Last edited:

tsoapm

English (England)
    ‘chime with’ seems like quite a clever solution to me, where it can be used; I’m not sure it’s generic enough to be a safe bet for all contexts.

rrose17

Canada, English
    Ciao Einstein, synonym might be a little odd here but "synonymous" I think is fine. And wouldn't you know it? Health is synonymous with beauty gets a ton of hits!

I know that "sinonimo" is one of the suggested translations of "byword", but "byword" seems to me to work better when the two "things" are in clearly different categories, as in the WR example: "The Italian city of Milan is a byword for fashion".

< Previous | Next >