bellhop (elevator operator)

< Previous | Next >

volver

french belgium
Hello,

What do you call someone who press the button of the elevator in a hotel? What's his job's name?

I thought of a bellhop but I think it doesn't fit here.

Could you help me, please.

Thank you.

VOLVER

• Packard

USA, English
    There used to be an elevator operator at my grandmother's apartment building. But that would be back in the late 1950s. Some elite hotels might still have them, but most standard luxury hotels do not (The Suisse Hotel I stayed in did not).

But even if they do have an elevator operator it would be for show and an affectation. The reason that elevators had operators was because the controls were complex and difficult to master. Nowadays it is automated and done with the push of a button.

Why Elevator Operators went Extinct | Elevator Design Information Blog

It was almost an art and acquired skill to correctly operate an elevator. The elevator was controlled by a hand operated controller for speed and direction. The operator had full control over the elevator car, and was responsible for stopping it so the elevator aligned with the floor. If not done correctly, the passengers would be in for a bumpy up and down ride until the elevator was aligned properly for a safe exit. - See more at: Why Elevator Operators went Extinct | Elevator Design Information Blog

Szkot

UK English
    If I encountered one I would think of him/her as a lift attendant. Google throws up this Daily Telegraph story: 'Parliamentary authorities have advertised for an official lift attendant to supervise the House of Commons elevator.'

Packard

USA, English
    I googled "elevator operator wanted" to see if that job category still exists. The name exists but it defines another job. So I would refrain from using "elevator operator" even though it is the only term I have ever heard for this job.

Elevator Operator job - United Farmers Cooperative - Brownton, MN

Key Responsibilities include:

-Assists in the operations activities of the assigned location for maximum efficiency and profitability.
    -Assists in the proper receiving, weighing, drying and loading of incoming and outgoing grain at assigned location.

pob14

American English
    -Assists in the proper receiving, weighing, drying and loading of incoming and outgoing grain at assigned location.
    When I moved Downstate from Chicago, I was confused for a long time by people referring to "elevators" when they were talking about grain elevators.

Them: You know where the elevator is?
    Me: Yeah, right across the hall.
    Them: :rolleyes:
    Me: :confused:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    A bellhop is, or was, a young man who would carry a hotel guest's luggage to the guest's room. So-called, I think, because he would respond to the sound of a bell rung by the desk clerk who had just checked the guest in.

Andygc

British English
    When I was a student a retired doctor who trained at the same medical school reminisced about nights out with lift girls from Harrods - a show, dinner at The Ritz, a taxi home, and change from a fiver.

"Lift girl" or "lift boy" used to work. As did "lift attendant". But they're all a childhood memory.

JK Rowling is too young to know what a lift operator was actually called - ie, not a "lift operator".

We don't the term "lift" in the US, so no title that includes it would have been used here. I would call the person who holds this job (and I am quite old enough to have ridden in the type of elevator where the person who performs the same was necessary) an "elevator operator." I note that the Wikipedia article about the movie "The Apartment" uses exactly that term to identify the job Shirley MacLaine's character has in the film.

Packard

USA, English
    This image from the movie "Pretty Woman" shows the night elevator operator. In the movie credits he is given that title. The image clearly shows a modern push button elevator control system; one that does not require the skills of an elevator operator.

This site lists the cast: Pretty Woman (1990)

Patrick Richwood ... Night Elevator Operator Dennis

Patrick Richwood ... Night Elevator Operator Dennis

< Previous | Next >