Below the surface and 'above it'?

< Previous | Next >

herut

HKI
Finnish
How can I say this better, "interesting features that go below the surface and stay above it"? i.e. some features are "superficial" while others dig deeper.. THANKS.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    What kind of features are these? I think it would help to know in what sense (literal or figurative) they are superficial, or not.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    "Dig/go below the surface" would be understandable in this context. "Stay above it" would be more puzzling even if one understood everything up to that point. You may need to abandon the imagery that you've used up to that point and specify that some features "present wider picture" or "summarize the issues" or something of that sort.

herut

HKI
    Finnish
    "Dig/go below the surface" would be understandable in this context. "Stay above it" would be more puzzling even if one understood everything up to that point. You may need to abandon the imagery that you've used up to that point and specify that some features "present wider picture" or "summarize the issues" or something of that sort.
    Yeah, but what I'm trying to say is that some articles dig below the surface AND others do not, i.e. some focus on e.g. cosmetics and some deal with child abuse.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Yeah, but what I'm trying to say is that some articles dig below the surface AND others do not, i.e. some focus on e.g. cosmetics and some deal with child abuse.
    Well, there you have it. I didn't understand your intended meaning. I'd suggest using the word "superficial" in the sentence, without quotation marks. I assume the previous or following sentences give an idea of the ranges of topics that the articles cover?

bibliolept

AE, Español
    You could write "less weighty" or "less serious" or the like. I'm afraid I can't think of how to address this within the "surface" theme without the negative connotations. I suppose you could talk about "lighter fare," but it would take some additional rewording to help it match the existing sentence.

< Previous | Next >