Bengali: keho

Rodrigue

Turkey / Turkish
Hello,
My name is Can, I'm from Turkey.
I am learning Bengali but, I didn't find anywhere the meaning of the word; "keho" (কেহ).
It was passing in the sentence;
Keho jeno porhe naahi thaaki piche, keho naai kaa(n)de shomaajer nice, shobar shonge eki toronge; gaai jiboneri gaan.
If any Bengali speaking could tell me the meaning of the word keha/keho, it would be very great.
Thanking in advance.

• panjabigator

Am. English
    I do not speak Bengali, but I have two ideas.

The first is that it could mean "anyone." I can try and form a translation another day...my mind is not function in a Bengali mode. But I am almost sure of myself. I think jeno means "person."

If you have a translation, please post it. Thanks

Rodrigue

Turkey / Turkish
    Thank you Panjabigator;
    I found the meaning of all the sentence but not of the word "keho". The meaning of the sentence is (though it might be slightly changed):
    "In order that no one is left behind and no one should cry as downtrodden in the society, taking all together, as one wave, I sing the song of life."

I wrote the sentence according to the pronounciation not according the original spelling, if I re-write the sentence according to the spelling it might be better as it would more similar to Panjabi (because both come from Sanskrit):)
    The original spelling, romanised letter-per-letter:
    Keha Yena Paŕe Náhi Tháke Piche,
    Keha Nái Káde Samájer Niice,
    Savár Sauge Eki Tarauge; Gái Jiivaneri Gán

Yena (Jeno): as, like; as if; so that; that
    Pad́ á (Poŕa): পড়া [ paā ]: v.; to fall, to drop; (as an aux.) to perform an action (ঘুমিয়েপড়া); to come to, to fall into (দুঃখেপড়া); to be uncultivated (জমিপড়েথাকা - jami paŕe tháká); to be vacant or unoccupied (বাড়িপড়েথাকা); to stay or remain (পিছনেপড়া - pichne paŕá); to be unpaid or unrealized, to get into arrears (অনেকটাকাপড়েআছে); to be outstanding (কাজপড়েথাকা); to set in, to begin, to ensue
    থাকা [ thākā ] v to live, to dwell; to stay, to be at; to remain, to be in...
    পিছে [ pichē ] prep.; at the back of; on the back of; towards the back of. adv. backwards; towards or in the past.
    Samáj: Society; Samájer: Of the society
    সবার [savár] a of everybody, of all; owned or shared by all; common; public; universal.
    Sauṋge: Together
    Eki (একই) a. same; very same, one and the same.

These are the words that I found. If anyone could explain the meaning of the other words I would be very happy.
    But mostly I would like to know what is KEHA (Keho) (কেহ).
    Thank you in advance.

capsi

Bengali,Hindi,English
    hello,Rodrigue

in the 2nd line ,i think it will be 'Niiche' not 'Niice'. here 'ch' sounds like 'ch' in 'Chile'
    which means down/below.

"Keho or Keha" [as u sound] means ....."someone / anyone" or in a negative sentence "no one".
    i hope it will help you.

Rodrigue

Turkey / Turkish
    Anek Dhyanyabád Capsi,
    Thank you very much Capsi, it was helpful:)
    Also, for being sure let me confirm one thing,
    Is it that you also, like me, by writing "c" you meant "চ" (like in ámi cái - I want) and by writing "ch" you meant "ছ" (like in ámi geyechi - I have gone)?

By the way I find it much practical to write one roman letter, for each bangla letter, instead of trying to write according to pronounciation. So every letter I (try to) use, is for one precise Bangla letter.
    Like "a" for the first letter (অ) and "á" for the second letter (আ) is much more practical, I think than writing "a" and "aa" or writing sometimes "o" sometimes "u" and sometimes "a" for the frist one etc..
    So the same way I continue "i" "ii" "u" "ú" "r"...
    What's your opinion about it? Dou you find it practical too?
    Thank you again
    Sincerely,
    Ciraiṋjiiv (ámár saḿskrt nám)

capsi

Bengali,Hindi,English
    namoskar, Rodrigue [chiranjeev]

well,while writing bengali in roman letters,we dont use 'C'...as there is no similar sound in bengali,for that purpose we use 'S'/'Sh'.
    we use 'ch' to express the sound of the 'sixth' & 'seventh' consonant, considering you know the exact bengali word.

ex: ami chai --- i want ; [sixth consonat used in bangla]
    ami sekhane gechi --- i went there [seventh consonat used in bangla, u can even write it like 'chh', thats more proper]

to express any 'K' sound in bangla always use 'K' , never use 'C'

K--- bangla 1st consonant
    Kh--- bangla 2nd consonant.

well,we do not use accented words while writing in roman letters,so others may not understand what you are trying to say.

apnar bangla bhasa sekhar aagroho dekhe ami sotti khubb anandito, konorokom sohojogita proyojon hole bolben.dhanyabad.

panjabigator

Am. English
    Capsi, could you help me translate this into Hindi?

apnar bangla bhasa sekhar aagroho dekhe ami sotti khubb anandito, konorokom sohojogita proyojon hole bolben.dhanyabad.

Would it be: /hamaarii ba.nglaa bhaaShaa (??siikhte) dekhe mai.n bahut khush (implied: huu.n) kyo.nki (sohojogita proyojon???) haule bolenge. dhanyaavaad.

I'm probably very off but I'm very interested in learning Bengali:)

panjabigator

Am. English
    Could a translation of this phrase be posted too? (I'd also like to see its parallel structure in Hindi for comparison's sake.

capsi

Bengali,Hindi,English
    hi,panjabigator

muje hindi, bolna o parna ata hain,lekin main jada hindi likh nehi sakta hun... isliye uska anubad_ka kausis kar raha hun lekin sath me jo malum nehi uska english word likh raha hun...

"apnar bangla bhasa sekhar aagroho dekhe ami sotti khubb anandito, konorokom sohojogita proyojon hole bolben.dhanyabad."

"apka bangla basha sikhneka aagroho(interest/willingness) dekhke main saach_me bahoot khuss hun, kisiprakar sohojogita(co-operation) jorurat hone se boliye."

hmm...its not that easy for me to translate that poem with my limited knowledge of hindi...

koii para na rahe piche [here 'jeno' [not 'yeno'] this word is used to express the mood "make it sure" ]

Keha Nái Káde Samájer Niche,
    koii na roye(cry) samaaj_ke niche

Savár Sauge Eki Tarauge ; Gái jiivaneri Gán
    sabke saath ekahi tarang_me ; gaye(sing) jiban_ka gaan

since its a poem , proper bengali grammatical structure not always followed here.

Click ---->
    ¡¡You Can Win a Car Today!! :) <---- Click

< Previous | Next >