Benison, beatitude, benediction, blessing.

< Previous | Next >
  • natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I would say blessing is the one only one that could be used today normally. The benediction is a more formal term, and I associate it with a particular part of a church service - usually the end, where the minister or priest says

May the peace of God, which passes all understanding, keep your hearts and minds in the knowledge and love of God, and of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. And the blessing of God Almighty, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit be amongst you, and remain with you always. Amen.
    or some other blessing. I would say, 'The minister then pronounces the benediction.'

I have only encountered benison in Shakespeare, and the beatitudes refer to the 'Blessed are you ...' sayings by Jesus in the Gospels.

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Unless I'm mistaken, beatitude is the odd one out, the others being synonyms of one another. Beatitude , I would describe as a blissful state of happiness.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Hello Mateus

Yes I see huge differences in these words! Have I won a prize? (joke)

May they be used in terms of various scopes (in this case they "acquire" significance)?
    I am not sure what you mean. They are used in dfferent contexts yes and although they similar sorts of words they are not synonyms and have different usage even if some are etymologically related (I haven't thought about that closely).

Hermione

JamesM

I can say "Her father gave his blessing to their marriage" but none of the other words could be used in that context. "The minister delivered the benediction". Once again, none of the other words can be used here. Like natkretep, "benison" is something I associate with Shakespeare, and I think of "benison" as having some material benefit associated with it beyond just a blessing. I don't think I have ever seen the word "beatitude" in the singular. My only association with it is the Beatitudes in the Bible.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    A beatitude is one of any of the eight remarks Jesus made in the Sermon on the Mount.

< Previous | Next >