"Benois Madonna" and "Madonna Litta" were acquired FROM ....

Dear friends!

In the Hermitage museum in St.Petersburg there are two paintings by Leonardo da Vinci. Actually, the Hermitage museum is the only place in Russia where we can find Leonardo's works. We have two of his Madonnas - Benois Madonna and Madonna Litta. Originally Leonardo called both of his paintings just "Madonna" and the words "Benois" and "Litta" were added later when the paintings had been bought by Russia. After the artist's death the canvases belonged to Benois and Litta families respectively and hence the names.

I wonder if the following sentence is correct:

"Benois Madonna" and "Madonna Litta" were acquired (purchased,bought) from the Benois and Litta families, respectively.

Tell me please if the preposition "from" is OK and is the word "acquire" best in this sentence?

Thanks!

• Aidanriley

English
    Dear friends!

In the Hermitage museum in St.Petersburg there are two paintings by Leonardo da Vinci. Actually, the Hermitage museum is the only place in Russia where we can find Leonardo's works. We have two of his Madonnas - Benois Madonna and Madonna Litta. Originally Leonardo called both of his paintings just "Madonna" and the words "Benois" and "Litta" were added later when the paintings had been bought by Russia. After the artist's death the canvases belonged to Benois and Litta families respectively and hence the names.

I wonder if the following sentence is correct:

"Benois Madonna" and "Madonna Litta" were acquired (purchased,bought) from the Benois and Litta families, respectively.

Tell me please if the preposition "from" is OK and is the word "acquire" best in this sentence?

Thanks!
    It's correct, and sounds good to me.
    Aidan

soccergal

English - US
    From is correct. Acquired is an excellent word, but it doesn't necessarily mean purchased. It could also mean that the paintings were donated or loaned to the museum.

From is correct. Acquired is an excellent word, but it doesn't necessarily mean purchased. It could also mean that the paintings were donated or loaned to the museum.
    Thanks! A very nice point to remember! :) This time, however, the paintings were purchase and money was paid for them. They were not private donations. Nor were they loaned to the museum.

< Previous | Next >