Bercée de tendre insouciance

surikatka

English - USA
Salut tout le monde,

Comment traduirait-on cette phrase (je l'ai prise du poème "Douce France"), "Douce France/cher pays de mon enfance/bercée de tendre insouciance." Par "insouciance" je comprends que c'est un pays qui n'a pas de soucis (selon l'auteur), et je comprends "bercée" comme "rocked," l'acte de bercer un enfant, mais je ne sais pas comment traduire toute le phrase. Merci beaucoup pour vos suggéstions. :)

• Downbow

English - USA/Canada
    With tender thoughtlessness
    (
    from the translation linked above, to include the meaning of "tendre insouciance")

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    Dear land of my childhood,
    I have kept you, cradled

Here is a translation of the song. Douce France: French lyrics explained
    That is a fairly free translation. In the French words, "bercée de tendre insouciance" modifies "enfance", whereas the English "cradled with tender thoughtlessness" seems to modify "you", that is, "land of my childhood".

In other words, in the French song it is the person's childhood that had no worries. In the English translation, the country has no worries. That is quite a change of meaning.

Garoubet

French - France, Quebec
    In the French words, "bercée de tendre insouciance" modifies "enfance"
    I don't know. I've always understood it as the Douce France that is "bercée de tant d'insouciance", not the childhood. Maybe because the way it is sung, with a breath at the end of every sentence. And mostly because the text is about France, not his childhood.

Last edited:

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I don't know. I've always understood it as the Douce France that is "bercée de tant d'insouciance", not the childhood. Maybe because the way it is sung, with a breath at the end of every sentence. And mostly because the text is about France, not his childhood.
    That could very well be right, and my reading wrong.

Maîtreaupôle

anglais "Canada"
    I'll leave a poetically worthy translation to others, but in the context of this song, I would take "insouciance" to refer to "freedom from care(s)", not "thoughtlessness".

< Previous | Next >