Beside/Besides

alex_ln

Polish
This is my context in which first I discussed the advantages that some media have and now I'm discussing some disadvantages that they have too. Is "Beside" correct? Or it needs to be "Besides". I guess "Beside" is correct.
"Beside considering some advantages, it deserves consideration some disadvantages that these media have....."
Thanks

• MuttQuad

English - AmE
    This is my context in which first I discussed the advantages that some media have and now I'm discussing some disadvantages that they have too. Is "Beside" correct? Or it needs to be "Besides". I guess "Beside" is correct.
    "Beside considering some advantages, it deserves consideration that some disadvantages that these media have....."
    Thanks
    Beside the small correction shown in red, your sentence is okay.

Leo57

UK English
    This is my context in which first I discussed the advantages that some media have and now I'm discussing some disadvantages that they have too. Is "Beside" correct? Or should it be "Besides". I guess "Beside" is correct.
    "Beside considering some advantages, it deserves consideration some disadvantages that these media have....."
    Thanks
    Hi there
    This might help you to decide which is the correct one.
    beside is a preposition meaning 'next to, alongside, by the side of';
    besides is a conjunction or adverb meaning 'in addition, moreover, at the same time' or 'also' but it does not mean 'alternatively'
    The part in italics doesn't really make sense and I can't alter it as I don't know what you are trying to say.
    Leo:)

alex_ln

Polish
    Hi there
    The part in italics doesn't really make sense and I can't alter it as I don't know what you are trying to say.
    Thank you for your answer.

I do not know why you say it does not make sense to you.

Here you can see my context where first I enumerated some advantages that the Internet has and then I have cited some disadvantages that it has. Do you still say the italic part does not make sense to you. Actually I use this one a lot; I would be happy if you let me know if I'm wrong :)

By using the internet not only can we keep in touch with our friends, but also there are dozens of educative websites by which we can increase our knowledge. Also, there are many websites by which we can catch up on the news and follow the news. Beside considering some advantages, it deserves consideration some disadvantages that this medium has; numerous people are addicted to the internet and spend too much time on the internet; should we spend too much time, we will not be able to catch up with other significant things and we will lag behind.

Leo57

UK English
    Thank you for your answer. You're welcome!
    This is my suggestion:
    Besides considering the advantages, we (also) need to consider the disadvantages that this medium has...

As we are not really encouraged to 'proof' whole passages, I will send you a pm with my suggestions and an explanation on everything you have written.

< Previous | Next >