Besides as a preposition meaning in addition to

Loob

English UK
This previous thread made me think that my usage of "besides" might be more restricted than other people's.

I could say "Besides English, he speaks French and Spanish" - meaning something like "Apart from English, he speaks French and Spanish" or "Leaving aside English, he speaks French and Spanish".

But I couldn't say "He speaks English besides French and Spanish" meaning "He speaks English in addition to French and Spanish".

Is it only me?:)

• xqby

English (U.S.)
    I think the problem is more that the sentence is so short as to be ambiguous and "besides" can mean a number things. I don't have any problem with, say, "He speaks English and French, besides his native Spanish."

baldpate

UK, English
    But I couldn't say "He speaks English besides French and Spanish" meaning "He speaks English in addition to French and Spanish".
    If I spoke the phrase "He speaks English besides French and Spanish", there would be a mental comma before "besides", probably articulated by a very short pause: hence meaning exactly the same as your "Besides English, he speaks French and Spanish"

Loob

English UK
    Thanks, everyone:).

Yes, I think it is something to do with my need for a pause/comma. I'll keep pondering!

Forero

It seems a besides prepositional phrase needs to modify more than just a noun. It is more adverbial than, for example, a beside prepositional phrase:

... on the table beside the bed:tick:
    ... on the table besides the bed:cross:
    I see the table besides the bed.:tick:(= "Besides the bed, I see the table.")

Loob

English UK
    Thanks, Forero:).

Interestingly, I couldn't say your third sentence either, though I could say (with no pause/comma) I see two other tables besides the one by the bed.

It seems that, for me, "besides" has a strong flavour of "other than"....

< Previous | Next >