Besides, he could not bind all that he had in his nature in the limits of a single passion

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 32) | Genius

Quotation: St. John, no doubt, would have given the world to follow, recall, retain her, when she thus left him; but he would not give one chance of heaven, nor relinquish, for the elysium of her love, one hope of the true, eternal Paradise. Besides, he could not bind all that he had in his nature—the rover, the aspirant, the poet, the priest—in the limits of a single passion. He could not—he would not—renounce his wild field of mission warfare for the parlours and the peace of Vale Hall. I learnt so much from himself in an inroad I once, despite his reserve, had the daring to make on his confidence.
===
Hi everyone! The bold part is somewhat vague to me. I try to make it clear as below. Is it correct?

I try to put “…bind all that he had ….in the limits of ….” differently.
The sentence => Besides, he had to let all he had in his nature go beyond a single passion; i.e., he could not allow a single passion (his passion for that angelic girl) to restrict all he had in his nature.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    More than that, he could not bring together/unify/constrain all the aspects he had in his character, i.e. the rover, the aspirant, the poet, the priest—within the limits of a single overwhelming ambition.

< Previous | Next >