Besides Jack and Jim, we will help these people

Karen123456

Malaysia English
Besides/In addition to Jack and Jim, we will help these people"

Does the above sentence mean that Jack and Jim have promised to help these people and now we promise to help them too. In short,these people will receive help from Jack, from Jim and from us in the future.

Am I correct?

Thanks in advance.

• George French

English - UK
    The way I understand it:

We will help Jack and Jim, and we will help these (additional) people, too.
    This may have been the intention! But, that's not what is written.

Besides/In addition just means we are going to help as well. As far as I can see/read there is no indication that we will help Jack & Jim. Simply put, we will help these people.

Note that besides means "in addition to; also:" not help.

GF..

Dimcl

Canadian English
    I'm with SwissPete - to me, it means that in addition to helping Jack and Jim, we will help the other people.

The use of "besides" in this construction almost invariably means "over and above" ie:

"Besides oranges, I'm putting peaches in the dessert"
    "Besides gardening, one of my favourite hobbies is reading"

As a result, I want to help these people, over and above helping Jack and Jim.

losilmer

"Besides/In addition to Jack and Jim, we will help these people"

This implies that we will help not only Jack and Jim, but also these people. So Jack and Jim are helped.

My opinion is that if you want to convey the idea you express, you would have to say:

"Together (in cooperation, side by side, hand in hand) with Jack and Jim, we will help these people"
    Now we say that Jack and Jim will help those persons, united with us, together with us.
    It's very different.

xebonyx

TR/AR/EN
    I agree with Dimcl and Swisspete. There's no way we can get from this sentence alone that Jack and Jim are helping, without more context.

< Previous | Next >