Besides VS.Sometimes

gil12345

chinese
Hi,

In a passage on an ACT test paper (English Section), which talks about the cues for the language use.

"Such cues may be found in the speaker's immediate surroundings. Hearing a Venezuelan singer's latest recording being played on a store's sound system might prompt a bingual speaker to use Spanish. Besides,the language of the speaker's most recent conversation can be the determing factor. "

I think "Besides," which means "in addition," is acceptable. However, I was told to change it to "Sometimes," which sounds good and does make sense. But I don't get why "Besides" is wrong.

Thanks

Gil

• Damoncito

English - American
    Besides does mean in addition, but it implies that there is a difference between what you are mentioning before and after the word besides. Because your ideas about hearing a singer's latest recording and the language of the speaker's most recent conversation influencing a speaker's language choice are so closely related, besides is too strong a word. Sometimes makes more sense because your second idea is elaborating on the first, and not making a distinction.

gil12345

chinese
    Besides does mean in addition, but it implies that there is a difference between what you are mentioning before and after the word besides. Because your ideas about hearing a singer's latest recording and the language of the speaker's most recent conversation influencing a speaker's language choice are so closely related, besides is too strong a word. Sometimes makes more sense because your second idea is elaborating on the first, and not making a distinction.
    Great. That's subtle. Thanks a lot.

< Previous | Next >