Besides

< Previous | Next >

hem_dinesh

India- Local Dialect & English
Hello,

I would like know the meaning of besides at the begining as in the following phrase

"I'm not allowed to use magic outside of the school. Besides, if uncle vernon."

Please interpret it with an example.

Thank you.

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    making an additional point; anyway; "I don't want to go to a restaurant; besides, we can't afford it"; "she couldn't shelter behind him all the ...
    in addition; "he has a Mercedes, too"
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

moreover or else, as in: I'm not hungry; besides, I'm allergic to nuts.
    www.business-words.com/dictionary/B.html

is an adverb or preposition that means "also, additionally": I would enjoy going on a vacation besides.
    www.alphadictionary.com/articles/confused_words_b.html

Please note that your second sentence is incomplete.

hem_dinesh

I know that meanings for besides are "also,in addition to,otherwise, in any case" what could be correct in this phrase.

Thanks.

Blender

English - U.S.
    Hello,

I would like know the meaning of besides at the begining as in the following phrase

"I'm not allowed to use magic outside of the school. Besides, if uncle vernon."

Please interpret it with an example.

Thank you.
    Hi,

The second sentence is not a full sentence, but only a fragment. It could begin a sentence, such as, "Besides, if Uncle Vernon finds out, we'd be in trouble.!

"Besides" is used here to reinforce why the speaker shouldn't use magic outside of school. First, he's not permitted to do so; second, Uncle Vernon would presumably punish them if he did.

hem_dinesh

I thought the meaning as it could like this as well " if his uncle allows then he can let his bird out". Is this could also be?

Thanks.

Blender

English - U.S.
    "if his uncle allows ... " would be better if it were introduced with "however." "Besides" reinforces the notion that magic is not allowed. Here, the suggestion is that he can use magic, but only to let his bird out. Is that what you mean?

hem_dinesh

I understood but I want to know whethere my presume is correct or not. Could you tell me is this phrase correct? "Besides,if uncle vernon" as if his uncle allows him then he can let his bird out. I mean he's saying to his bird as "I'm not allowed to use magic outside to let you out. Otherwise, if uncle vernon allows then I can let you out."
    I meant to say is the word 'besides' is equivalent to 'otherwise or in any case' and could we also say like this if possible. I just want to know is this correct or not.

Thank you very much.

AntieAnnie

USA
    English - USA
    Could you share the remainder of the sentence after "Uncle Vernon?" Without that, it sounds as if the speaker is reinforcing that using magic is not allowed.

In the bird example:
    I would say, "I'm not allowed to use magic outside of the school. However, if Uncle Vernon really needs us to free his bird, I will take the risk and use magic although it's against the rules."

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Could you share the remainder of the sentence after "Uncle Vernon?" Without that, it sounds as if the speaker is reinforcing that using magic is not allowed. [...]
    I think that this is exactly the meaning.
    "I am not allowed to use magic after school. Besides, if Uncle Vernon [finds out, I'm dead!]"

"Besides" often comes to reinforce the previous statement:
    - I don't cross on red lights; it's illegal. Besides, I can't run fast enough to get out of the way of an oncoming car.
    - I am not going to that movie. I don't like love stories and besides, I heard it wasn't very good.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    I understood but I want to know whethere my presume is correct or not. Could you tell me is this phrase correct? "Besides,if uncle vernon" as if his uncle allows him then he can let his bird out. I mean he's saying to his bird as "I'm not allowed to use magic outside to let you out. Otherwise, if uncle vernon allows then I can let you out."
    I meant to say is the word 'besides' is equivalent to 'otherwise or in any case' and could we also say like this if possible. I just want to know is this correct or not.

Thank you very much.
    Without the complete sentence, we cannot say whether you are correct or not. Notwithstanding what the end of the sentence is, "besides, if" in this context would invariably mean that Uncle Vernon would not approve of his using magic.

AntieAnnie

USA
    English - USA

Thank you very much.
    Looking at this one, I would say that the above is not correct. "Besides" and "otherwise" would not be interchangeable as stated above.

< Previous | Next >