best athlete in this joint

< Previous | Next >

maayani

Hebrew
Hello,

SHAY :
Why would you want to be with someone who makes you miserable?

DALLAS:
She doesn't.

SHAY:
She does, even though you're the best athlete in this joint.

(Degrassi, season 14).

Do you have any idea what it means "joint" here"? (As you probably guess, they are high school students, and theý are talking about Dallas's girlfriend.

Thanks in advance.

• cando

English - British
    Joint is AE jargon for place, building or institution. (You will hear it used in BrE too). So in this instance it means the best athlete in that high school.

boozer

Bulgarian
    I normally see it used to describe bars, cafes, night clubs, brothels or other establishments of slightly dubious repute. Makes you wonder how a school has been reduced to this unenviable status. :D

But I understand it, of course, and I suppose saying something like that can be expected from a teenager. :)

Just adding my thoughts...

Barque

Tamil
    I think "joint" can refer to any place. I can imagine QE II looking around Buckingham Palace and thinking "This is a swell joint; I most certainly wouldn't exchange it for any other place in the world."

boozer

Bulgarian
    I think "joint" can refer to any place. I can imagine QE II looking around Buckingham Palace and thinking "This is a swell joint; I most certainly wouldn't exchange it for any other place in the world."
    Of course. Nice sense of humour, too. :D
    Namely because of definition 6a here that, unlike 6b, seems to substantiate my associations:
    the definition of joint

Packard

USA, English
    I normally see it used to describe bars, cafes, night clubs, brothels or other establishments of slightly dubious repute. Makes you wonder how a school has been reduced to this unenviable status. :D

But I understand it, of course, and I suppose saying something like that can be expected from a teenager. :)

Just adding my thoughts...
    At 5:00 p.m. on work days I say either of the following, modeled after a line in the "Goodfellas" movie:

I'm bustin' out of this God-forsaken hole.

or

I'm bustin' out of this joint.

< Previous | Next >