best friend named Butch

mO_ok

Lithuanian
Dears,
I'm looking forward for your help with this sentence, namely, the Butch reference:
‘I can negotiate. How about this – as soon as I catch the bastards I’ll negotiate a lifetime in prison without any possibility of parole and a best friend named Butch?’
This is a detective speaking about criminals (Angela Marsons "Lost Girls"). I know that Butch basically means having some very masculine features but still I'm not sure what it means here. I suspect some cultural reference (it's a British novel, if that's of any help) or some prison slang. What do you think?

• Copyright

American English
    I'm American, but what I get out of it is that Butch is a very masculine name, so he's going to negotiate a lifetime in prison without any possibility of parole for this man, plus a "best friend" named Butch who will regularly rape and otherwise mistreat him."

dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    Are the criminals female? If so, "butch" is a stereotypical reference to a lesbian who can dress, act, with male tendencies. Beyond that, the threat is as Copyright suggests above.

mO_ok

Lithuanian
    The gender of the offenders is not clear at this point. Oh, so masculinity in this case correlates with aggressive behaviour.
    What baffled me the most in this case was the word 'without' - I was not sure whether it applied to 'possibility of parole' as well as 'Butch'. But now it figures.
    Thank you for your help!^_^

< Previous | Next >