... best lit from the left, as befits the work of right-handed artists

melika1373

Persian
Hi there
Could you please explain to me what the sentence mean? I know the meaning of each word but I can't understand it generally.

Cave art furnishes other types of evidence of this phenomenon. Most engravings, for example, are best lit from the left, as befits the work of right-handed artists, who generally prefer to have the light source on the left so that the shadow of their hand does not fall on the tip of the engraving tool or brush.

• Chez

English English
    What it's saying is: most engravings look their best if you see them with a light source to the left of the engraving. That's because a right-handed engraver would usually make his engraving with the light source (the sun/a fire/a candle etc) on his left so that his hand and the point of his engraving tool are clearly lit (any shadow is cast away from his hand to the right). The implication is that if the engraving was made with a light source to the left, it will look best if you also view it with a light source on the left because the engraver presumably carved it to look good with the light coming from the left.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    The conventional idea that all images will be lit from the top left is so widespread, that when the light comes from the bottom right the subject appears to be upside down or inside out, like this:

melika1373

Persian
    What it's saying is: most engravings look their best if you see them with a light source to the left of the engraving. That's because a right-handed engraver would usually make his engraving with the light source (the sun/a fire/a candle etc) on his left so that his hand and the point of his engraving tool are clearly lit (any shadow is cast away from his hand to the right). The implication is that if the engraving was made with a light source to the left, it will look best if you also view it with a light source on the left because the engraver presumably carved it to look good with the light coming from the left.[/QU

Thanks for replying, but i think all of them depend on the source of light which where is it, in the right or the left. So we can not conclude that all of the light recources were in the left. Is true?:idea:

melika1373

Persian
    The conventional idea that all images will be lit from the top left is so widespread, that when the light comes from the bottom right the subject appears to be upside down or inside out, like this:

thank you but i think it is not associate with the bottom

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I think it implies that all cave art (or 90% of it, the ratio of right-handed to left-handed people) is written* on the right wall (as seen from inside, which is the left wall looking into the cave) of caves. I don't think this is the case, though.
    *= painted or engraved, as said in the quote.

Last edited:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Surely most cave art is deep underground, and was therefore done with artificial light - torches or firelight? So the question is whether the artists stood with this on their left or right.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Surely most cave art is deep underground, and was therefore done with artificial light - torches or firelight? So the question is whether the artists stood with this on their left or right.
    I don't think this is necessarily the case; I believe quite a few cave drawings are found (fairly) near the entrance of the grotto or cave.

kentix

English - U.S.
    The point is that they are concluding that because it looks best with the light on the left then it was created with the light on the left. And from that they are further concluding that most of the artists were right-handed because having the light on the left is the most effective way to draw as a right-hander.

The implication is the artists would either find a spot where the light was naturally on the left or, if they used a candle or torch, they would routinely place it on the left side of their work area.

as befits the work of right-handed artists,
    This means it matches or is most convenient for the work of right-handed artists.

Last edited:

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    The point is that they are concluding that because it looks best with the light on the left then it was created with the light on the left. And from that they are further concluding that most of the artists were right-handed because having the light on the left is the most effective way to draw as a right-hander.

The implication is the artists would either find a spot where the light was naturally on the left or, if they used a candle or torch, they would routinely place it on the left side of their work area.

This means it matches or is most convenient for the work of right-handed artists.
    Yes.

< Previous | Next >