best man' for a woman?

< Previous | Next >

PoisonedQuill

Spain - Spanish
And don't say "bridesmaid". What I mean is, if it's a woman who acts as "bestman" (for the groom, not the bride), how do you say it? "Bestwoman"? "Groomswoman"? Is there even a word for it? I know it's not very common, but it does happen. Thanks (I was just wondering).

• Junk

English, USA
    There is no set word for this, as it is a rather uncommon break from tradition. I would either leave it as best man and avoid the awkwardness of "best woman/lady/person", or choose any of those options and avoid the awkwardness of having the best man not actually be a man.

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    I'm stumped! I'm sure that a word must exist for this! I just can't think of it!

I would either leave it as best man and avoid the awkwardness of "best woman/lady/person", or choose any of those options and avoid the awkwardness of having the best man not actually be a man.
    Ask any woman how she'd feel about being called a "best man"....

PoisonedQuill

Spain - Spanish
    Thanks everybody. It's a thorny question.

VenusEnvy: you're right. Do you know if I can change it, or will I have to duplicate it?

apuquipa: don't, it happens a lot. I was the logical deduction, in fact, since I'm posting this in the Spanish/English forum. My bad.

It's very possible that there's no word for this, as it's not so common... But it does happen, and I was wondering how would you say it, even if it's not an actual word (that is, appearing in dictionaries, etc).

ulrika

English/Spanish (I don't know where I'm from anymore)
    I would go with "best man". She is my "best man". It would then be understood that she is on the groom's side, and playing the role of the bestman.

If a friend of mine who was getting married chose me to be his "best man" over the rest of his friends, male and female, I would be happy and flattered, and not offended by him calling me a "best man".

Cracker Jack

I may not know inother cultures, but I have never heard of a female ''Best Man.'' It's like a tag-line in movies - ''The Best Man for the job is a woman.'' I don't discount the possibility that a woman takes the role of a best man in some cultures.

However, if this is so, I could not imagine a woman organizing a stag party for the would be groom, or helping the groom in getting dressed. But it is very possible. This is a good material for a novel or a film.

PoisonedQuill

Spain - Spanish
    VenusEnvy: exactly.
    ulrika: Yeah, I think I like how "she's my best man" sounds.
    Cracker Jack: Yeah, it's not common, but it happens. And I guess it may start to happen more and more now that culture is changing (not so sexually-segregated, etc). In fact, the reason I'm asking is because I'm a woman and most of my friends are men, and the other day one of them (who's actually my best friend) told me if he ever got married he'd like me to be his "padrina" (which probably it isn't a word, but I was touched all the same). So I wondered how would you say that in English.

This is a good material for a novel or a film.
    Hahaha. Be my guest!

gingerbread

english scotland
    ahh just rea all the other posts, i also dont think there is a word for it due to it being something that just doesn't happen, or happens very infrequently.

Retórico

Spanish-(Andalucía-España)
    Es curioso porque en España lo tradicional es que la madre del novio sea su madrina de boda y el padre de la novia su padrino. Aunque creo que son roles, un poco diferentes a los de USA e Inglaterra. Pues estos se limitan a acompañarlos al altar.

Saludos

Cracker Jack

VenusEnvy: exactly.
    ulrika: Yeah, I think I like how "she's my best man" sounds.
    Cracker Jack: Yeah, it's not common, but it happens. And I guess it may start to happen more and more now that culture is changing (not so sexually-segregated, etc). In fact, the reason I'm asking is because I'm a woman and most of my friends are men, and the other day one of them (who's actually my best friend) told me if he ever got married he'd like me to be his "padrina" (which probably it isn't a word, but I was touched all the same). So I wondered how would you say that in English.

Hahaha. Be my guest!
    The padrina that you were referring to is the Principal Sponsor who signs the marriage certificate as witness. The Secondary Sponsors are those for whom the candles, veil and cord and rings are assigned.

PoisonedQuill

Spain - Spanish
    No, a "bridesmaid" is a woman who attends the bride at a wedding. I'm asking for a woman attending the groom. As I said:

And don't say "bridesmaid". What I mean is, if it's a woman who acts as "bestman" (for the groom, not the bride), how do you say it?

thesmithtopher

Canada, English
    I don't believe there are established terms for any of these. They'd be very irregular.

One of my (male) friends stood beside his best friend, a girl, as she got married. She called him his best man. Even though the groom also had a best man.

Perhaps a woman, standing beside the groom, could also be called the Maid of Honour.

I'm considering having a girl in my "best man" position, and as this is throwing tradition out the window anyway, I may call her my best woman. Why not?

Everything is free game when you throw tradition out the window :)

marmalade

English - USA
    She's my best man

I would leave it at that since it's a title, not a description.

Agreed. I am a woman, and was the best man at a wedding. Everyone called me "the best man." It seemed most sensible, since that's the word we use for that role, and it avoided any confusion with the maid of honor on the bride's side.

Sé que este es un hilo viejo, pero me quedo intrigada. Tampoco existe una palabra adecuada en español. Pero así fue, una mujer actuando como padrino, hay que decirme algo. ¿Fuí "la padrino"? "la padrina"? madrina del novio? testigo? otra cosa? ¿Qué preferirían Uds.?

< Previous | Next >