best way to order ice cream

< Previous | Next >

NickJunior

Khmer
Hi,
I am with my 8 friends at an ice cream store. Each of my friends wants a different flavor, with different number of scoops in cones and cups. My job is to do the ordering for each one of them. I am at the counter and the seller asks "How may I help you?". How should I tell the seller? Thanks.

• You say 'A single scoop of vanilla in a cup, please'. When he has handed this over you say 'Two scoops of rum and raisin in a sugar cone with caramel topping, please'. When this is ready you carry on asking for each order one at a time, giving the server time to get each one ready.

Rover

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Or if the seller is writing down your order and not filling it on the spot, you could say: "A double cone with chocolate and strawberry; two single cones, one with cherry and the other with banana-pineapple; one dish with four scoops: mandarin, mocha, rocky road, and vanilla crunch..." and so on.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Moderator's note:

I have merged the above with an earlier thread. The earlier thread does not deal with the question of asking for a special cone.

Please comment on the most recent post. Feel free to add any other information that may be helpful. :)

Copyright

American English
    First, I'd consider getting another job. :D

Second, just alert the counter person: I've got eight orders. The first one is ...

And when that order is filled, state the next order, and so on -- unless, as Nunty mentions, someone is writing this down, but that's not how Haagen-Dazs does it. :)

Shradda

India-Hindi
    Can you also say:
    I'm gonna have a double scoop of some chocolate in a waffle cone with some wipped cream on it. I am not so sure about the first "some", right before chocolate
    I think you can also just leave it away. Right?

Myridon

English - US
    Can you also say:
    I'm gonna have a double scoop of some chocolate in a waffle cone with some whipped cream on it. I am not so sure about the first "some", right before chocolate
    Neither "some" is needed. If they have more than one chocolate ice cream (milk chocolate, dark chocolate, chocolate fudge, ...), the first "some chocolate" might be interpreted as "any one of the chocolate ice creams."

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Can you also say:
    I'm gonna have a double scoop of some chocolate in a waffle cone with some wipped cream on it. I am not so sure about the first "some", right before chocolate
    By the way:

gonnagoing to
    wippedwhipped

< Previous | Next >