Best wishes for a wonderful Holiday and a Happy New Year!

< Previous | Next >

mmantha

English
Hello everyone,

Here's the phrase I'm using in English for Christmas cards.

Best wishes for a wonderful Holiday
and a Happy New Year!

Here's my translation to French.
Is it correct and would you have any suggestions?

Meilleurs Voeux pour de Joyeuses Fêtes
et Bonne Heureuse Année!

I was thinking maybe Voeux should be Souhaits or does that matter?

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

:)

• Pastoretta

German&English-South Africa
    I don't know how it is in Canada, but in France people don't really send cards for Christmas, but rather latish i.e. in time for the New Year, and you actually get cards that only have "Bonne année" on. Though the French tend not to be so Christian any more, in Europe you still wish "Joyeux Noel" and "Bonne Année", which might become "Joyeuses Fêtes", too, and "Bonne et heureuse Année". "Meilleurs voeux" (the word "souhaits" is never used in this context) can also be used all by itself - even for birthdays! So I would simply shorten your caption to
    Joyeuses Fêtes et Bonne Année!
    Or you simply write a New Year card (which is what I sometimes do: all the English and German ones first, before Christmas, then the French ones, which may arrive afterwards, with "Bonne et heureuse Année" on). Of course, if you are writing to a mixed couple, it'd be good to send the card in time for Christmas,and to wish "Joyeuses Fêtes", which is more like the American "Happy holidays" version that is more open than the Christmas wish.

Wynn Mathieson

English - United Kingdom
    You just need to be aware that

Best wishes for a wonderful Holiday

might be fine for a US audience (I'll let Americans judge), but reads very oddly in British English*, where the usual greeting is something more along the lines of

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year

*("Have a wonderful holiday" means "Bonnes vacances" in BrE!)

In Europe Christmas is still called Christmas even by those for whom the festival has no particular religious significance.

(P.S. Sorry, on re-reading your original question, I see you were asking about the French form of words, not the English. But I hope my contribution will be allowed to stand, nevertheless, as a general footnote to the topic... Season's greetings!)

Last edited:

mmantha

English
    Thank you for taking the time to help.

Your responses have been very thorough.

I went with the third suggestion Reliure listed...

Mes meilleurs voeux pour les fêtes, et bonne année

:)

The audience is in Canada, Ontario and Quebec.

Last edited:

doinel

France French
    On peut envoyer des cartes de voeux jusqu'au dernier jour de janvier, c'est là l'avantage, mais même si on le souhaite moins et si les cartes sont plus difficiles à trouver on souhaite aussi ' un joyeux Noël' peut être pour les enfants...
    Les propositions de Reliure sont très bien. :)
    Bouh, cette période me déprime...
    doinel

< Previous | Next >