best wishes (greetings in illness)

< Previous | Next >

alogbe

English (UK)
I would like to send a message of encouragement to a French friend who is in hospital recovering from surgery. I don't want to say something like j'espère que vous allez bien because I know that she is not well, in fact she is quite seriously ill.

Can I use the phrase meilleurs voeux ? I hesitate because I associate that with good wishes for an anniversary, or for the New Year, or something like that.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

• black4321

Banned
    Francais de Belgique
    Permettez-moi de vous présenter mes meilleurs voeux de prompt rétablissement (unless of course your friend cannot be cured, then nr 2 :)

Permettez-moi de formuler tous mes voeux pour votre santé.

Or the same without "Permettez"

LivingTree

Banned
    English - Canadian
    I would tend to say in English: "All my best wishes."

I think one could say tous mes meilleurs voeux?

I wouldn't have to say for what, in English, e.g. "for your recovery". Can it stand alone in French?

Tous mes meilleurs voeux à toi?

black4321

Banned
    Francais de Belgique
    Yes, but it is much more general then (and a bit less formal) and tous mes meilleurs voeux or tous mes meilleurs voeux (and also à toi)

Last edited:

black4321

Banned
    Francais de Belgique
    I looked up "Tous mes meilleurs voeux" in Google and it seems to exist - which doesn't mean it is 100% OK
    It seems to me "inflationary" and possibly a direct (but not idiomatic) translation of "All my best wishes"

LivingTree

Banned
    English - Canadian
    Ah, it is inflationary in English, indeed. It's just that "best wishes" sounds a little bald and impersonal and "all my best wishes" sounds a little more heartfelt and personal. ;)

Understandable if it doesn't work the same way in French!

tous mes voeux -or- mes meilleurs voeux, but not both!

(I would not want to be formal if I were sending my best wishes to a very ill friend.)

< Previous | Next >