Best wishes

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
Hello, Forum,
Can "best wishes", at the end of an email, be used only for your subordinates or equals, not for your seniors?
Suppose you work as a science editor for a publishing company and the head of your department, HOD science, is very open and friendly with you and the other science team members. You receive an email from the head of your department having as an attachment a file you need. Can you reply to the mail, saying
Thank you.
Best wishes,
XYZ

or is "best wishes" used only for juniors and equals, not seniors? :confused: I don't think "Best wishes" has anything to do with seniority. I know "regards" can be used but that's another story.

Thank you.

Thank you very much.

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I would never use the phrase "best wishes" to sign any kind of correspondence with anyone. The phrase might make sense if you were wishing someone well on some occasion, such as "best wishes on your retirement", or "best wishes on your promotion", but a general and non-specific 'best wishes" makes little sense to me.

Why not just close with "Thank you"?

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Thank you. Yes, here we follow British style and customs in letters, emails, etc. more commonly. I hope some BE speakers shed light on the subject from BE perspective. Thanks.

ewie

English English
    I happily use Best wishes with absolutely anyone I genuinely wish well to, regardless of circumstances, social standing, in/formality, or any other consideration.
    Mind you, I am just one BrE speaker, Hon. EMP:)

By contrast, I never ever use Regards which always strikes me as cold and meaningless:thumbsdown:

ewie

English English
    Best wishes to you too, Monsieur Barque.
    Lots of love,
    Me
    X:)

Okay, I admit it: I may sometimes come across as a bit gushy in my correspondence ...:oops:

Loob

English UK
    I do use "Best wishes" as a sign-off on occasion, but I wouldn't use it in your context, Emp - it somehow falls between two stools. It's not formal enough for a boss, and it's too much of a stock phrase to use with a good friend.*

I would vote for GWB's solution: just finish with "Thank you":).

-------
    (*That's also a personal view, of course.)

Kirill V.

Russian
    I do use "Best wishes" as a sign-off on occasion, but I wouldn't use it in your context, Emp - it somehow falls between two stools. It's not formal enough for a boss, and it's too much of a stock phrase to use with a good friend.*

I would vote for GWB's solution: just finish with "Thank you":).

-------
    (*That's also a personal view, of course.)
    Hello, Loob!
    What would you say in a message to a boss in BrE? If "Best regards" are no good, then what to put at the end of an e-mail?

I know of course 'Sincerely / Sincerely Yours", but doesn't that sound too formal to be put in each and every e-mail?

Loob

English UK
    Hi kayve

As I said, I would finish with the previous word in Emp's draft: "Thank you". I don't use any formulaic expressions to sign off business emails: not Regards, not Yours sincerely, just my name:).

Kirill V.

Russian
    Hi kayve

As I said, I would finish with the previous word in Emp's draft: "Thank you". I don't use any formulaic expressions to sign off business emails: not Regards, not Yours sincerely, just my name:).
    Okay, so I understand this would not look impolite, would it, if you were my boss? -

Loob,

We met with J at his office this morning, ....

Kayve

If you are replying to someone, finish with whatever form they finished with.
    Yes, thanks, this a smart approach I think.

Kirill V.

Russian
    Not with Indian egoistic bosses. They will ask you to use more respectful/submission-showing subscription than they use. :eek:
    How do you manage to handle this?
    When I studied French I remember we learnt a big variety of sentences that could be used in closing of letters, and those ranged from short to two-lines long ones, so one could carefully manage the level of politeness / respect and submission he/she wanted to demonstrate.

But in English I am not aware of a great number of options... :confused:

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    But in English I am not aware of a great number of options... :confused:
    There probably aren't but Indian bosses will categorize the existing ones and tell you "best wishes" is used by bosses for their subordinates or among equals, and "regards" is used for bosses by their subordinates!:eek:
    The highlighted part is exactly what I was also told by someone, hence this thread.

Even bosses who are heads of departments like ELT will also believe and say that. :eek::oops:

Loob

English UK
    I think your best bet is to comply with the Indian conventions, then, Emp...;)

< Previous | Next >