Bestand

< Previous | Next >

fivebars

English – UK
'die Bestandserfassung und der daraus resultierenden Zustandserfassung'

I have checked previous threads on 'Bestand' with no luck. Context here is picture conservation, preceded by assessment of condition of the paintings and previous restoration history.
There is no question of Bestand as stock or inventory; it's all about the condition of the paintings.

Thanks!

• berndf

German (Germany)
    There is no question of Bestand as stock or inventory; it's all about the condition of the paintings.
    It does mean inventory. The sentence is is about obtaining an assessment of the conditions of the painting as a result/by-product of the stock-taking process.

fivebars

English – UK
    Thanks, but they are looking into the 'Bestand' with a high-powered microscope, so I don't think so in this case. How about 'the condition relating to future durability'?

berndf

German (Germany)
    Thanks, but they are looking into the 'Bestand' with a high-powered microscope, so I don't think so in this case. How about 'the condition relating to future durability'?
    I am sorry, but the sentence is quite unambiguous. Bestandserfassung is the taking (Erfassung) of the inventory (Bestand). There is a small twist in the meaning of Erfassung that might help you reconcile with what I said: It is not just mere tallying of things, it also includes (at least potentially) assessing and recording all the facts about them.

fivebars

English – UK
    berndf – Thanks again. I am wondering about the relevance of
    <<Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch © WordReference.com 2012:

Bestand m
    1. nur sg: (Weiterbestehen) (continued) existence; (Überleben) auch survival; (Dauer) duration; von Bestand sein (oder Bestand haben) be lasting, last;>>

further:
    "Um weitere Hinweise zum
    maltechnischen Aufbau, dem Bestand und dem Erhaltungszustand zu erhalten wurden
    Untersuchungen mit Hilfe der Infrarot Reflektographie ... vorgenommen."

As it is a given from the start that there are precisely two of these paintings, it is difficult for me to translate Bestand as inventory etc; is the author using the word idiosyncratically? As you know, I am not a native German speaker and claim no authority in this. I'm just looking for a translation that will make sense.

Thank you for your help in this.

berndf

German (Germany)
    Ok, you are right. In this sentence Bestand does not translate to inventory. It is probably a professional term I am not aware of.

When I look for occurences of the phrase "Bestand des Bildes" in Google I get results that suggest the meaning "everything the paintig is composed of", i.e. the totality of all Betandteile which is derived from the phrasal verb aus ... bestehen = to consist of ....

Does that make more sense?

fivebars

English – UK
    That is a bit of a breakthrough!
    Something like 'physical composition' makes sense in this context and is enough of a contrast/complement to justify the author pairing it with 'Zustand'/condition.

Many thanks.

< Previous | Next >