Bestselling proponent of catchy ideas of history and economics

< Previous | Next >

Oswinw011

Chinese
Are humans innately good? Rutger Bregman thinks so
As the son of a Dutch Protestant cleric, Rutger Bregman was brought up in a religious tradition that regards mankind as incorrigibly prone to wickedness, yet called by the Creator to veer towards goodness, a transformation that the faith promises to abet. As a young, bestselling proponent of catchy ideas about history and economics, he has rejected parts of that outlook while retaining others.

Hi,
Does the bold phrase mean: a bestselling author and a proponent of....?

• The Newt

English - US
    Are humans innately good? Rutger Bregman thinks so
    As the son of a Dutch Protestant cleric, Rutger Bregman was brought up in a religious tradition that regards mankind as incorrigibly prone to wickedness, yet called by the Creator to veer towards goodness, a transformation that the faith promises to abet. As a young, bestselling proponent of catchy ideas about history and economics, he has rejected parts of that outlook while retaining others.

Hi,
    Does the bold phrase mean: a bestselling author and a proponent of....?
    He is the author of bestselling books in which he proposes catchy ideas.

Oswinw011

Chinese
    He is the author of bestselling books in which he proposes catchy ideas.
    I can understand best selling books/CDs/products as books/CDs/products that sells in a great numbers, but as for bestselling proponent, I take it as proponent that sells in a great numbers. That's obviously wrong, but I don't know which step is wrong. Looking forward to your help.

The Newt

English - US
    I can understand best selling books/CDs/products as books/CDs/products that sells in a great numbers, but as for bestselling proponent, I take it as proponent that sells in a great numbers. That's obviously wrong, but I don't know which step is wrong. Looking forward to your help.
    It is his books (or other media) that are bestselling. It's the same situation as saying "a bestselling cardiologist"; what's being sold are books etc. concerning cardiology.

< Previous | Next >