Besty

Ede

Italian Italy
Hi, I have a question about some American slang...
My friend told me that I am her "besty" or "bestie" (I don't know how it is spelled!), but I assumed that she means I am her best friend, right?
Thank you,
Erica :)

• A90Six

England - English.
    Ede said:
    Hi, I have a question about some American slang...
    My friend told me that I am her "besty" or "bestie" (I don't know how it is spelled!), but I assumed that she means I am her best friend, right?
    Thank you,
    Erica :)
    I am a BE speaker, not AE, but as it is a slang term I daresay you could choose either. I would plump for besty as bestie looks a bit too much like beastie. Have you asked your besty how it should be spelt?

ArtemisTwo

U.S. English
    I haven't heard this usage, but it's not uncommon to hear someone referred to as "my bestest friend." It's not grammatically correct, but it's contemporary slang.

Vikta

English/French/Spanish Canada
    HaHa! No, besty, bestest, or even bestie are not official slang words anywhere in the world. But yes, it probably means that you're the best of something that she has (friends).

lizzeymac

English - USA
    Sorry Vikta -
    Perhaps these nicknames are not used in Canada but some parts of "the world" they are very common slang & have been in use for many years.
    Besty & Bestest are variants of "best friend" in AE. They are used virtually exclusively by females rather than males & tend to be used by young people - teenagers or younger. I imagine that if you don't have contact with that age group you might never hear these terms.